Coins lost as no value.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by saltysam-1, Jul 13, 2016.

1. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I had $46 worth of halves, nickels, and cents... and the teller there at my old bank that I dealt with knew ahead of time I don't do that... I was expecting her to start putting the coins in her drawer, and instead she started throwing them in a bag... so I went ahead and let her do this, and after she was done, I asked her (pretending I didn't know) what she was doing... She told me she was shipping them off to be counted and they would be "deposited in your account in 7-10 days")... Then I said "you know I don't do that"... and then had her take the rolls out and slide them back to me... I took them across the street to my new bank, where they were more than happy to cash them.

Most of the banks around me, for whatever reason, do not have change counters. Actually, I haven't found one that does yet.

*wolf7* and CoinZone like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

The only time I've had a problem with using a dollar coin was at a convenience store in Georgia I gave the clerk a SBA and he wouldn't take it cause he never seen one before he said he just came over from India to help his dad with the store and hadn't been in the states long so I figured that's why he'd never seen one.

*wolf7* likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Everybody and their brothers and sisters have
    I phones - anybody ever think of looking it up real fast to show these uninformed people?

eric6794 likes this.
  5. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Good for you

6. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

It's only going to get worse, sadly

*wolf7* likes this.
  7. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

8. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Your right, some changes are one the way

9. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Well, I've been without a cellphone for more than a week (and have gotten by just fine), and my friend who cuts my hair has never had one (even though she has a kid)...

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

So what does having a kid have to with it?

11. CoinZone

CoinZone Active Member

My local large national grocery store chain cashier never saw half dollars before. She asked if they were dollars, I said no, they are halves. She stared at me for 30 seconds, then just dropped the 5.00 bucks worth in the drawer. I don't think she believed they were actually real money.
    Now I just use my halves from CRH at Wal Mart self checkouts. Whomever empties those machines must hate me. Oh well, get in line. It's only about 100 bucks a week.

John77 likes this.
  12. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea...

13. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

A lot of people oppose withdrawing the cent. How many would care about the half?

Cal

14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

To the OP, are we talking about Ike dollars or the sacs/presidential ones? Ikes i could understand, but the other ones I'd assume most are aware of. At my work, dollar coins are dispensed in all the vending machines when you use 5 dollars.

*wolf7* likes this.
  15. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I'd go crazy if that happened.

16. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Once I bought an ice cream at Rite Aid with a 2 dollar bill and a JFK. The clerk took the 2 no problem but looked at the half and was like "...is this a quarter?"

I had a garage sale the other week and, strangely enough, the no-Ingles Mexican folks took my half dollars in change without a second glance. You'd figure that some teller who's lived in the US his whole life would know more about the fact that a half dollar exists than a recent immigrant, but not so...

saltysam-1 likes this.
  17. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

The Metro rail fare machine in Los Angeles gives change SOLELY in dollar coins. You put in a 20 for a 1.75 fare, it spits out 18 dollar coins. It's pretty cool actually. That's where I get many of my NIFC presidential dollars!

CoinZone likes this.
  18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

See Doug's reply (#13). Of course it would be easier if such a "picky" store had a sign saying what they accept and what they don't accept. But it does not have to ...

Christian

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A business can require or refuse payment in any form they wish. They get to set and change the rule as they wish.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Why, it may not be that much of a problem for her. Have you seen the educational system lately? They tend to let everyone use calculators now even in the elementary grades. You may be able to teach without knowing math.

*wolf7* likes this.
  21. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Sadly true.

No offense to any educators here, (and I know I could never do their job, heck I hate dealing with MBA students in class), but the college of education at major universities have the lowest test scores on average. So basically the majority of teachers are literally the lowest testing graduates from any university. Kind of explains, (along with horrible parenting), our atrocious education results nowadays.

*wolf7* likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted