Coins I've found CRH - help grading, and general discussion

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Melina, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Hello all, I figured I'd make a thread for some of the coins I've been obtaining either through CRH or ones that have been given to me.

I'd love some help grading these coins, as I've found or obtained them within the last 3 weeks. I'm rather new to this whole coin collecting thing, but I'm quite obsessed :) I'd love to learn as much as I can from you guys.

Let me know what you think, and if you like to grade coins, I'd LOVE your input! Thanks all.

All images taken with a Nikon D300.

1. 1865 Indian Head Penny - given to me by my grandfather. It's in VERY rough shape - it was hard to make out the date. Is it worth anything even in this horrible condition?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1991-D Quarter - Found in a roll 7/11. I held on to this one because when I saw the edge of this coin, I expected it to be a newer quarter and was suprised to find out it was 10 years old and still in beautiful condition. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1938-S Nickel - Today's Big Find during coin roll hunting. I was shocked! What do you guys think it'd grade at/what would it be worth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 1937 Buffalo Nickel - Found in a roll last week - I was suprised to find this Buff in such nice condition, especially after it's been circulating for 70+ years. Thoughts on grade/value?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 1943 Steel penny - I'm worried that this is plated. Is this just a very good condition steel penny or is this plated and worth nada?

[​IMG]

6. 1922-D Penny - I know this is a rarer wheat cent, but it's in such poor condition. Thoughts on value?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 1909 vdb cent - Found in bulk of wheaties given to me. Just curious as to what this would grade/be worth. It's my favorite coin :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 1884 indian head cent - given to me by family member - this is the best condition IHC that I have. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your time and input everyone!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Wow....nice coins..good job...

4. Noobismatist

Noobismatist Junior Member

Very nice coins, very nice looking 1909 VDB

5. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Thank you :)

Any input on the grades/values?

6. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

No one??? :( I took these nice photos and everything.

7. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Sorry..I am not able to see as I am typing on a kindle...black and white...uhhh

8. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

9. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

The 1991 quarter is nice, I think in the 80s and early 90s it's hard to find coins with strong detail, so it is nice. For steel cents, I believe there is a way to tell if it is plated by looking at the side of it, but I don't remember, sorry I'm new and not much help. I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

10. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

Corrosion on some negate any real value. The '09-VDB is a nice album filler....but total worth, not too much. Won't be putting a down payment on anything with them.

Now, with that said...if you're new to the hobby, focus on a series, get a Red Book for starters, realize those prices are a joke, but the info you can garner just from that book will be helpful. Againm do some omework before buying anything...it'll save you in the long run.

11. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

So, some people around CT think that the VDB Cent looks odd because of the "coloring"... does it look fake to anyone else?

12. chip

chip Novice collector

Hello, Melina. One coin that stands out to me is that 38-s Jefferson. The mintmark looks a little misshapen, I would get some magnification on it to see if it is a possible repunched mintmark.

13. billyd624

billyd624 Junior Member

That is a nice quarter to be found in circulation.

14. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a little suspicious. Possibly recolored. But it could go either way.

I'd certainly give it an acetone bath and see if the spot on the reverse can be removed. If it's verdigris and not PVC you might try Verdicare.
    Lance.

15. PdlJmpr

PdlJmpr Junior Member

'
    Thanks for sharing your finds. Sorry that only a few have taken interest. I am proud of my similar finds even though they are about as common, but haven't taken time to make photographs.
    Your 1865 IHC would have a place in the series album until a better one came along, but this one has too much sentimental value to be parted with, I am sure.
    That 91 quarter looks exceptional, but still circulated. Knowing it was found recently in a roll makes it tempting to over-grade it. I often do the same.
    I can't remember if I found or purchased my 38S and I didn't document those details until recently. The mm looks solid to me.
    The 37 Buf looks really good.
    1943 Steel Lincoln does seem a little too nice to not check closely, but just from one picture it looks legit.
    I would be most worried about the 22D because the two sides have quite different toning, plus the silver color on the obverse. Makes me wonder if it have mercury rubbed on it.
    The 09VDB shows very little wear, I don't think the color is too far off.
    Your last IHC has a strong liberty and looks pretty good.
    Sorry, don't have time right now to get to grades.

Draft saved Draft deleted