Coins & Info Regarding Philip I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by OldGoldGuy, Jan 3, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I've got a rather obscure provincial - just try and find one! But the type is of little interest to most collectors, so if you do find one, you probably won't pay more than $100 for a specemin in this condition...

Provincia Arabia, Philip II
    AE28, 14.85g; Bostra mint, 244-247 AD.
    Obv.: [MARC IVL] PHILIPPOS CESAR; Radiate bust right.
    Rev.: COL METROPOLIS BOSTRA; AKTI/A ΔOV/CAPIA in wreath.
    Reference: Spijkerman 59, SNG ANS 1247-50.
    Note: The ‘Aktia Dousaria’ was the festival in honor of Dushara, or Dusares, a Middle-Eastern deity worshiped by the Nabataeans at Petra and Madain Saleh.

philipbostra.jpg

icerain, stevex6 and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Doug, the denarius is considerable enough that I didn't even consider it an option! It is the kind of coin that would only appear in an auction and, since the big auction season just ended and the new ones aren't out yet, there probably isn't one available.

JA, of course there are a myriad of provincials! I wouldn't even dare collecting them until RPC comes out, but that's just me being lazy.

4. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

smit, post: 2060679, member: 19463"]The 'considerable' Philip IMHO is a denarius and most of them you see offered are fakes. The other considerable purchase in silver would be a quantity of better coins but even nice antoniniani of preferable types would require a bagful to be worth the word 'considerable'.
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1275845

Philip is a poor choice for a spcialty if the goal is to impress others. He is a great choice for study but collectors with money tend to consider his antoniniani 'ordinary' even in high grade.[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of what you said. However, I was able to locate an NGC certified piece that missed out on one very important detail, apparently Most likely because it was part of a mass submission. I am not trying to impress anyone and don't really understand what I said for you to make that remark.
    I am not really sure where the "impress others" intent came from. Certainly not me. I collect what I collect because, because, well, I'm not telling, anyone, so, there. I have my reasons. When I said it was "considerable" I said that because of a few reasons, none of them being that for example, the cost was so great, or that it is so impressive of an emperor, or some group of 75+ yr old collectors deem this the worthy area of study. I said it because of one of my collecting goals, owning an extreme rarity, something there are only one or two of known may be fulfilled with this purchase. Again, this coin, which I have officially purchased now, only cost in the low 3 figures, and, this is the best part, is certified genuine by NGC. So I am not worried about a fake. And that all said without mentioning my own competency in purchasing a genuine coin or not. However, after some research and a few phone calls, I learned it was submitted as part of a large submission, and I believe the grader overlooked a very subtle detail making this the second known example that I can find documented. And it is in better condition than the only example I can find. Further, it is the first coin that I will be resubmitting to be properly attributed and pedigreed into the family name; in my nook of the world, that is worthy of being considered considerable.

What I initially thought to be true of ancients before I got into them, which was that there is no central source of knowledge, no black and white answers, and small pockets of "experts" whose word is "final" on all matters seems to be holding true. The knowledge is scattered and scarce. With varying levels of credibility. With enough research, intelligence and drive, one can actually pave a path of knowledge for others, some of these others even having been in the arena for 30, 40 or 50 years.

Its a feeling very similar to one I had with the second company I started; being told that I would be swallowed alive by the "big boys" and out of business within 6 months. But I knew what I was doing, I did it the opposite way of my competition, swam upstream, trusted my gut, and the rest is history. That same gut instinct seems to hold true for coin collecting; get your nose nice and brown with the "in" crowd and you may be lucky enough to have the existing knowledge pool shared with you. But thats never been me. I usually figure out a more efficient, longer lasting wheel than others. I ask a few questions at first, for example, the shape of this "circular" wheel thingy. Then, I go make my own. And a few weeks later, I pass by the inventor of the wheel trying to repair his on the side of the road because he designed it from stone, and it was too brittle, and now his fruits and veggies are rotting in the sun while he chisels out a new wheel that wont even be the same diameter, further stressing the axle and leading to another mechanical failure. Meanwhile, I have a spare on the back of my cart, because I milled out 3 of them at once on a lathe.

So, for those who read my request, and tried to bring hard to find numismatic pockets of knowledge to my attention as I wanted and needed, thanks! To those that feel the need to teach others how to collect, whats worthy of collecting, who disregard the question being asked to use as an opportunity to try and correct something that isnt even in need of being corrected just to puff their numismatic chest, um, yeah, hi, im the next generation of collector, I promise to leave it better than I found it.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

wow, you love writing ...

;)

... I like animal-coins

Bing likes this.
  6. OldGoldGuy

A bad thing?

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahahaha ...

=> No, animal coins are awesome ...

... good luck in your hun
    t

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those who try to teach others 'how' to collect differ mostly on the definition of 'collect'. If you are trying to assemble a collection that will be worth 'considerably' more when you sell it, the instruction will be different from those who collect to have 'considerably' more fun from the expenditure. Perhaps I misunderstood your style when you lead off with the 'considerable' description of your planned expenditure. I hope you will find 'considerable' enjoyment from Phillip and will choose to share tidbits you learn about him. There are still open questions as to his mints and dating (especially how the late coins mate up with the dates of death for Phillip I and II). There is a lot to learn and enjoy here.

randygeki and Bing like this.
  9. OldGoldGuy

Incredible website by the way. The photography, the info, magnifico.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm glad all that is cleared up!
    th.jpg

John Anthony and TIF like this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

My least ordinary Philip I :)

014~0.JPG

12. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

John Anthony likes this.
  13. John Anthony

Say, I've got one of those! I'd forgotten about it until you posted yours, and it appears we have die-matched coins to boot!

marc700.jpg

Pishpash and stevex6 like this.
  14. Pishpash

WOW how cool is that?

John Anthony likes this.
  15. John Anthony

It's pretty cool, but I don't think it's terribly uncommon among provincials. Certain types had such short runs and small productions that we can surmise only one or two pairs of dies were used.

Still, it always fascinates me to come across a die match. I'm in Pennsylvania, and you're wherever you are in the world, and we own two coins that were made from the same dies, likely by the same men, over 1700 years ago.

16. Pishpash

I think that the coin on wildwinds is a die match also. So started off in Bulgaria, you are in Pennsylvania and I am in the UK. I love this hobby.

John Anthony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted