Coins Illustrating Articles

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by benhur767, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Congrats, @benhur767, always fun to see your coin as a prop in any article or catalog. I was really pleased to discovery that this coin was #18a, in an informative article on these coins from K. Liampi, "Ekkarra, eine Stadt der Achaia Phthiotis: Ihre Lege nach den numismatischen Zeugnissen", U. Peter, ed. Stephanos Nomismatikos, Edith Schönert-Geiss zum 65.Geburtstag (Berlin 1998), pp. 417-439.
    [​IMG]

Thessaly, Ekkarra, circa 325-320 BC, AE Chalkous
    Obv: Laurel-wreathed, head of Zeus to the left in a circle of dots. The head of the Zeus is compact with wide cheeks. The beard and hairstyle are cut in stiff lines, and the hair covers the nape of the neck, a wavy line. Details like the pupil can be seen on the eyebrowed eyes.
    Rev: ΕΚΚΑΡ / ΡΕΩΝ, downward, Artemis standing in between, in three-quarter view to the left. Her right leg is bent back. Her left arm rests on her hip, her right hand rests on a hunting lance, in the middle of which you can see a strap. Her hair is pinned up in a Lampadion knot and a bow and drapery appear on the nape of the neck, fastened crosswise in front of the chest with the shoulder strap. She is wearing a short sleeveless chiton (woolen tunic) and a himation (outer garment), and an endromides (cloak) lined with fur. Ekkarra HD Blk.jpg
    Notes: more here on this coin

Carl Wilmont, PeteB, zumbly and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IanG

IanG Well-Known Member

I have only just noticed this thread and thought this ancient British coin might be of interest.
    Gallo-Belgic.jpg
    Gallo-Belgic2.jpg

This Gallo-Belgic Broad Flan stater was found at the iron age settlement of Oldbury Hill, Kent in 1923. It was published by Derek Allen in 'The pre-Roman coinage of Kent' 1944 and by Dr John Sills in 'Gaulish and Early British Gold Coinage' 2003. This type was amongst the very earliest coins to circulate in Britain; it is in fact S2, the second coin in Spink's Coins of England, S1 being identical except that the head and horse face right, not left. They were made in Northern Gaul (Belgica) and imported into the South-East of England from about 150 BC onwards.

This was actually the first coin I ever bought - and it remains my most expensive! Being English, my initial intention was to collect Celtic coins from Britain. It didn't take me too long, however, to find that other ancients held more interest. But this coin remains one of my favourites.

Draft saved Draft deleted