Coins from Web Stores/Online Sites

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by love old coins, May 13, 2021.

1. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

I've been ordering some coins occasionally and have also received some from friends that are in sealed cellophane type packaging, labeled with identifying information. Should I remove them from this packaging and put them in flips? Certainly, the cellophane will weaken over time, not to mention the fact that I'm guessing anything nearby could rip the packaging open. What do y'all think?

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I'd say leave them in there im not seeing any bad signs e.t.c for now.

love old coins, Bayern and 1stSgt22 like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well... Some coins tend to hold more value when they are left in the original government packaging. The only reason I might separate them personally is if I thought one particular coin in the set was especially worthy of a TPG's look maybe.... Otherwise, I would leave them be.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you don't have the original envelopes for the cello packs, I would probably remove the coins and put them in Saflips or airtites. The cello does not offer any protection for the coins. They could be easily "dinged" by other coins.

6. jamor1960

jamor1960 The More I learn, the Less I know....

You could also go on to Ebay and see if you can find OGM envelopes to put them in. They usually go pretty cheap. I've done that with several mint sets. I like mine to be as original as possible!! :cool:

love old coins and Mac McDonald like this.
  7. jamor1960

jamor1960 The More I learn, the Less I know....

You could also go on to Ebay and see if you can find OGM envelopes to put them in. They usually go pretty cheap. I've done that with several mint sets. I like mine to be as original as possible!! :cool:

love old coins likes this.
  8. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

The '56 & '57 are U.S. mint proof sets. The '71 is half of a mint uncirculated set... Denver only, missing the Philadelphia half. I would keep the proof sets as they are and remove the uncirculated coins for their respective album collections. You can buy replacement proof set envelopes on eBay.

love old coins and jamor1960 like this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The original envelopes don't add anything to the value unless you don't mind throwing good money after bad.

10. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

If the sets you are purchasing do not come with OGM envelopes, I would suggest you put in plain white envelopes with heavy paper or thin cardboard on both sides for protection. Unless you see signs of discoloring or rainbowing, I wouldn't remove from original celo pack unless you enjoy looking at you coins and do so in 2X2 flips. Either way, still safe.

love old coins and Bayern like this.
  11. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

If you decide to remove them from the original packaging, utilize 2X2 flips, and one other very important thing. Purchase a Dansco Album 7000 along with the protective slip case. Not only will your coins be together, they will be protected from the environment! You can then look at your coins anytime, knowing that they will be preserved and protected.

12. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Another helpful hint concerning storage of your coins. Dry and dark location is very important. What I did was commandeer 2/3 of a closet in our 3rd bedroom (that we use as a den), and installed six levels of shelving. This way I have a great place to store all of my coins and they are protected from sunlight. One of my advantages is that I live in a warm, dry climate and along with the Dansco Album 7000's helps immeasurably to protect the coins, yet they are easily accessible.

13. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

THE KEY WORD IS NOW

14. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

I agree. Also, original mint packaging is rather secure, and can bring higher premiums, mostly for earlier sets, as well as some more recent limited mintage sets.

15. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

An idea for storage of these: You can possibly purchase some album pages designed for larger size currency- such as ones that hold 3 notes per page. This would keep the packaging and coins secure, and multiple pages can be stored within a 3 ring binder. (I use deluxe Mead zippered binders for storing some of my coins, as well as currency). You should be able to find these in the school supplies section at target, or via amazon).

16. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Indeed, "now," but all coins no matter the holder or storage should be monitored on some kind of regular basis. If no signs of problems, no need to worry, just check them again. I've got the vast majority of mint and proof sets in the original flat-pak cellos from the mid-50s forward with no issues, although spotting, etc. does happen. A lot depends on fluctuating storage temps, exposure to humidity, heat, etc. Also, they shouldn't be man-handled to extent of direct, ding-type or tear-type contact with other coins or objects. Have never had any of mine rip, puncture or tear...my experience. If someone is handling them, stacking them, etc. out of protective envelopes, et al, that much and with little care, they're asking for problems.

love old coins and Bayern like this.
  17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am like you and have a number of the cello packs from the 1950's..... It begs the question though.... I wonder what the expected lifespan is of these cellos? I am sure they will span our lifetime but at what point will future numismatists be forced to remove the coin from the cello?

love old coins and Bambam8778 like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Ask yourself one question, why did you order them? The answer to this question will be the same answer to your original question.

19. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

and what will the damage be? Will it be nice toning that they hate on us for removing them or will it be horrible, unspeakable things? LOL.

Bayern and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  20. love old coins

Unfortunately, I live in a very humid state (SC), four miles from the beach. That being said, my coins are kept in a very dark, climate controlled bedroom inside a brand new Craftsman style toolbox drawer...that way, they can be locked up when I'm gone.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  21. love old coins

That's an excellent idea...thank you! I have a very limited income so I have to go with the more frugal ideas that will endure the test of time.

Draft saved Draft deleted