Coins From The Vatican?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Sl1mJ1m, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Sl1mJ1m

Sl1mJ1m New Member

I recently purchased these from a local coin shop, and after many attempts at researching the coins, I've barely found any information. Could you help identify the dates, the composition (they appeared silver plated), and any of the history behind them? Any information regarding these coins would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance. 20200118_152030.jpg 20200118_152046.jpg 20200118_152107.jpg 20200118_152117.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

I don't think these are circulating coins. They look more like medals or some kind of commemorative. Here are some Vatican coins for comparison. Coins should have a denomination. Many Vatican coins are dated by year of papal reign (In Roman numerals) rather than by AD dates. But these don't appear to have any date at all. Vatican copy.jpg d

4. Sl1mJ1m

Sl1mJ1m New Member

Thanks, I wasn't sure myself if these were coins or medals

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I agree!

I have around 30 Papal States coins/ here are some....

1/2/ Papal States/ Bologna
    AV 10 Zecchini 1787 Bologna Mint
    Pope Pius VI
    3/ Papal States/ Avignon
    AV Florino d'oro ND Avignon mint
    Pope Urban V IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Honestly, they look more like tourist souvenirs you'd find in a gift shop. I don't think these are coins.

paddyman98 and Parthicus like this.
  7. angelo43

angelo43 New Member

They are not coins or official medals minted by the Vatican. they are medals minted privately for sales to tourists. they may contain a small amount of silver but are mostly silver plated.

paddyman98, serafino and Sl1mJ1m like this.
  8. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

I checked my Allen G. Berman "Papal Coins" reference book. These are not recognized papal coins. Both @angelo43 and @physics-fan3.14 are correct. I hope you did not buy them thinking that they were coins. They might make good gifts to a family member for a special occasion.

Deacon Ray and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Sl1mJ1m

Sl1mJ1m New Member

Don't worry, they were only a dollar a piece from an assorted coins bin. I knew they weren't going to be worth much, I just loved the design.

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is a real Vatican coin won last nite Stack Auction.
    4ebbe77b7a177437a9b5b922cf291775.jpg bbfe164b1c7826ec2ab70bcdaa209f0b.jpg

11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I've bid on a few but gotten beat (in fairness, I was saving my serious $$$ for FUN so it was mostly "stink-bids").

Does the Bank of Italy or some Italian govenrment agency do the minting for the Vatican ? I'm sure they don't have their own presses, given their limited volumes.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Italy mints them in Rome

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

They’re very nice. They would make a wonderful gift for a service person who is getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq.

Draft saved Draft deleted