Coins From the Movies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by silentnviolent, Apr 26, 2016.

1. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

It would be super cool to own Two-Face's peace dollar.

Or have a doubloon used in the Buttercream Gang movie, you know the one.

Oh! And how about the penny that Lucy and Ethel dropped in the sewer after searching BWR?

Or the (what key date again?) nickel accidentally spent by, who was it, the Three Stooges?

Are these bits of numismatic cinematic memorabilia provenanced today? On display somewhere?

Do one of you own one??

Tough question to ask as I remember a short lived pawn shop trying to sell a cheap one armed bandit shot machine with a sign taped to it reading "belonged to Elvis!" but nonetheless, if anyone has any provenanced cinematic numismatics, I'd like to see if you'll share.

Paul M. and longnine009 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

That was an Amos and Andy episode.

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

There is someone, I think he may be a member here, who catalogs all movies with coins in them

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I seem to recall that Mr. Wilson of Dennis the Menace TV fame lost a valuable coin to one of the neighborhood kids who stuck it in a candy machine.

7. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

In the movie Sleepers with Brad Pitt and Kevin Bacon the ref at the Guards-Inmates football game at the reform school used a Peace Dollar for the coin toss. At least it looked like one.

8. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Walter Breen (in his Encyclopedia) said that the coin in the 1947 film "The Brasher Doubloon" was a fake.

[​IMG]
    The Brasher Doubloon (1947) coin

I was so disappointed.

:)

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I suppose my favorite film dealing with money was Dollars (promoted as $$$) with Warren Beatty, Goldie Hawn and Gert Frobe (who portrayed James Bond's Goldfinger). I think it is a quiet classic. And a helluva Quincy Jones soundtrack that is almost impossible to find these days.

bdunnse likes this.
  10. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Just watched Rifftrax Live - "Time Chasers" last night. When the main character comes back from the future, one of his pieces of proof is this lovely 2041 Kennedy Half Dollar:

image.jpeg

silentnviolent likes this.
  11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

An 1877 Shield Nickel it was. That's a rare key date.

12. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Not a movie, but in Elementary, a tv series featuring the latest incarnation of Sherlock Holmes, the main character frequently wears an 1887 gold 2 pound coin as a lapel pin.

Draft saved Draft deleted