Coins from Portuguese India

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

This was being discussed in another thread so I decided to post mine. I was working on diversifying my Portuguese colonial collection recently. There are a wide variety of coins from Portuguese India and my collection is by no means comprehensive, but here's what I have. The first is an 1831 60 reis. The rest should be easier to identify. 1831 portuguese india 60 reis.jpg 1881 portuguese india 1 rupia.jpg 1881 portuguese india half rupia.jpg 1886 portuguese india quarter tanga.jpg 1901 portuguese india quarter tanga.jpg 1958 portuguese india 1 escudo.jpg 1961 portuguese india 10 centavos.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

upload_2021-8-4_16-47-24.png
    Denomination: Dinheiro
    Metal: Tin (cast)
    Ruler: Joao III, (1521-1557); Portuguese India
    Mint: Malacca
    Obv.: Portuguese Cross; I-S/M-A in quadrants (IoanneS MalaccA)
    Rev.: Astrolabe; Armillary Sphere.
    Diam.: 17.4 mm. Weight: 4.01 gr.
    Attrib.: SS-J12

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

That cross is also called the Portuguese Cross.
    If you've ever watched that Oak Island treasure hunt show, it comes up often and is discussed a lot.

philologus_1 likes this.
  5. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Enjoyed seeing your Portuguese India coins. The colonial history of India fascinates me -- Portuguese, French, British, Danish.

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I've never heard of a Danish presence there. I'll have to look into that. I'm really interested in the history of exploration and colonization. I've read a lot about it but there are so many examples that we consider insignificant today that are interesting. Like the Swedish effort to colonize North America, or the Scottish attempt at a South American colony. It's amazing the rate that the early colonists died just about everywhere too.

Hookman and Robidoux Pass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted