Coins from my parents' house fire

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Browns Fan, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

My parents had a house fire that was a total loss in 1938. These coins were all they could find in the ashes. The Lincolns that are readable are 1919 and 1920, the Buffalo nickels are not readable, and the quarter is 1853 but the mint mark area is not readable. Just wanted to share a bit of history.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Pretty cool if you ask me. Very sorry to hear of the fire but the buffalo nickel with metal fused to it is spectacular.

4. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Interesting family history relics. Hopefully not too much in the way of important documents and photos was lost. I guess there's no way to know that now, 83 years after the fact. I don't think most average families had big photo albums back then. Maybe a family bible.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

In my metal detecting days, I hunted a place near the dunes on Saint Simons Island, Georgia, which had been cleared to build new upscale beachfront condos. The land had been the site of the old Hotel Saint Simons, which was built in 1888 and burned down in 1898. The building that replaced it also subsequently burned in 1910. I found some Indian cents, a Liberty nickel, one brass key fob each from both the first and second hotels, and an interesting enameled festival badge. All of which had to have predated the second fire from 1910.

But what was also interesting was how much old glass and tile was unearthed by the bulldozing during the 1990s condo construction. I found the bottoms of old bottles and drinking glasses which had been melted in one of the old hotel fires around the turn of the century.

(I don't think there had been any loss of life in either fire. The hotels were seasonal back then, and maybe vacant when they burned. I don't remember the full history.)

Draft saved Draft deleted