Coins From Egypt

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by pragmatic, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Egypt 1933 2.5 Milliemes:
    LR Egypt 1933 2_5 Milliemes Obv.JPG
    LR Egypt 1933 2_5 Milliemes Rev.JPG

Egypt 1935 1 Millieme:
    LR Egypt 1935 1 Millieme Obv.JPG
    LR Egypt 1935 1 Millieme Rev.JPG

Egypt 1937 2 Piastres:
    LR Egypt 1937 2 Piastres Obv.JPG
    LR Egypt 1937 2 Piastres Rev.JPG

Curtisimo, sonlarson and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Egypt 1939 5 Piastres:
    LR Egypt 1939 5 Piastres Obv.JPG
    LR Egypt 1939 5 Piastres Rev.JPG

Egypt 1944 2 Piastres:
    LR Egypt 1944 2 Piastres Obv.JPG
    LR Egypt 1944 2 Piastres Rev.JPG

Egypt 1979 Silver Pound:
    LR Egypt 1979 Silver Pound Obv.JPG
    LR Egypt 1979 Silver Pound Rev.JPG

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Egypt 1923 Silver 2 Piastres
    LR Egypt Silver 2 Piastres Obv B.JPG LR Egypt Silver 2 Piastres Rev B.JPG

That's all for now.

Edit to add: This is a Ptolemy I - II bronze coin found a week ago in a dealer's token book. The weight is 5.83 grams with a diameter between 17 mm and 18.3 mm. The denomination may be a hemiobol. I paid US$ 5 for it. I had more than $5 worth of fun studying & attributing the coin.
    Ptolemy Bronze Collage 1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  5. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

@Collect89 That's all?! :D man you have more valuable Egyptian collections than Egyptians themselves specially am talking about the grade. It is really seldom to find these coins in this XF or UNC grade. And if any, it is either very expensive or kept unsold by appreciating collectors.

The cheek scratches ahahahah. This is the funniest part. Boy o'boy. It is what makes this piece XF. Usually the first thing spoiled is the cheek getting wiped easily and these marks disappear.

6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

pragmatic likes this.
  7. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I'm a big fan of these Sphinx coins myself and a fan of Egypt, its people, and history. Some people even claim I would look under any stone looking for the Sphinx coins. ;)

I find nice high grade examples of these rather elusive here in the US. Is this the same in Egypt? I find the high priced varieties little tougher than the common ones though. Is this the same in Egypt?

Theodosius likes this.
  8. pragmatic

The coin market in Egypt is not a priced market. A good purchase or deal basically depends on how good you are at bargaining the initial price the seller claims. Generally speaking, high grade coins are expensive. However, if you are a good buyer you can cut off the price. Let me give you a raw example of bargaining here:
    Rule number one: if you spot something you like among a seller's collection; avoid showing deep interest in it!
    Just go through different coins and ask for random coin prices and shove your favourite piece among.
    Of course a seller knows his coins values; but if you take it among cheap ones, he would think you don't estimate its value, and will not stick to a high price with you. Once decided a set of coins to purchase, ask for the price, and you start to bargain for the lowest logic price till you both reach an acceptable mean (average) price.
    I saw prices on ebay, to tell you the truth it is difficult to tell whether they are more expensive than here or not. But the privilige we have locally is the bargain card. On ebay there is no bargain. On the opposite there can be a bidding!
    Overall, most of coins in market here are circulated. Traders are smart enough not to offer the unc coins among lower grades. So in such case, one has nothing left to do but ask for a coin specifically!! This is a big challenge, but with a good compromising trader i can easily get the coin with much better price than those online. Sometimes 50% sometimes more sometimes less. Depends on how the deal ends. practically a local trader wanna sell, so he eventually sell cheaper than online. Simply because some of these traders know not how to trade online; and if they sell at prices same as online; they lose customers who would eventually go for online purchases.
    Sorry for elongating.

Theodosius, chrisild and Collect89 like this.
  9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Here's a nice set of Egyptian themed coins put together by the Franklin Mint. Nice eye candy. The sets are not cheap at all though. $400 is about the best I seen about a year ago anyway. s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (3).jpg s-l400 (4).jpg

old49er, Curtisimo, sonlarson and 2 others like this.
  10. pragmatic

The face value says 5 pounds gonayhat جنيهات
    This set is struck specially as a collector item (silver? proof) never seen here. Probably never will :D
    I can best define this set as coins of Egypt but not from Egypt. This raises the question of how to define a country's coin in these 2 scenarios;

1-A coin struck abroad but had been in circulation locally.
    2-A coin struck abroad and never had been into circulation.

1 or 2 or both or none?????

-jeffB, Collect89 and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

This is about the same way I buy coins. But one big difference is dealers usually write a price that they'd like to get on the coins and you can rarely get them for less than 60% off. If it's priced too high I don't even make an offer. I try to start with a few that he has priced close to what I'm willing to pay and go from there. Some dealers just give you a blanket discount of about 30% if you're buying a bunch.

I find it helps to be selecting coins that are slow movers for him.

I've rarely seen the Sphinx coins in Uncirculated and used to ignore the XF's but now days I'd even pick these up if priced right. I have a complete set of them in AU or better. I don't know what they're worth because our catalog (Krause) is absolutely worthless for pricing. It suggests my aluminum bronze set might be worth about $600. But I have no clue if the real value is between $60 and 6,000.

12. pragmatic

it is true; bloating prices is a phenomenon (and usually when you bargain down, you just go the actual price of the coin, sometimes better, specially as you said if you buy some lot). Let alone scamming such as but not limited to; bogus coin injectors (made in China lol or locally), cheating the grade (I saw a coin today offered for sale online as if it is UNC but when I had a meticulous look at it, there is evidence that it was manipulated in a way to look shiny and new (some would use for example bicarbonate and some chemicals to restore the shine and sell as if UNC). That is one good reason, I don't buy from any trader, only a trusted seller I deal with.

$6000?! haven't heard of any modern age coin whatsoever in Egypt that expensive. not in its topnotch finest proof state. sorry there is no such prices. There are very few exceptions where prices of collectives are very high (as in the case of the 2 camels pound banknote), some coins yea are expensive, but to be that expensive, might be if made of gold over gold or something :-O

By any means the 3 silver coins of sphinx wouldn't exceed the $60. This is however the price of ebay. locally I could get them at a lower price from a known trader.

BUT please, all of these price ranges don't really matter, because your coins after all are worth the value you see in them. For me I appreciate my beloved coins regardless of price listing, this is specially for a coin i love and would never wanna sell for any reason.

Theodosius likes this.
  13. Johndoe2000$

Y s-l1600 (30).jpg s-l1600 (31).jpg 271971548770-2_600.jpg 271971548770-0_600.jpg
    A couple more uncirculating moderns with Egyptian theme.

14. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I was referring to a complete set of each 1, 5 and 10 m in AU+ to Gem BU condition as priced by Krause. $600 is the combined price of the coins I have.

I was just curious what the market value might be. Most of these were found back many years ago when Uncs were priced at 25c.

pragmatic likes this.
  15. pragmatic

Yesterday I called a veteran trader, he told me that one can go to the Egyptian Mint and reserve a coin. However, usually such coins unc and proof go to certain people (coin monsters); who eventually monopolize these items and control their prices at their will. Patronage is a keyword here that best describes the case.
    For many reasons, i see the proof and unc coins fantasy opens wide gates to mint companies and superior traders to manipulate and rip off coin collectors. It is a tool of ripoff. I bought the 1 and 5 millimes and two or three 10 millimes sphinx circulated (carries the essence of being a once-upon-a-time a currency cost me only few pounds (egyptian pounds). Hardly a dollar or tops tops dollar and a half.
    i don't know since when this proof coin idea came into the coin market. I understand people loving perfection, is why I can't argue more. I respect what you prefer.

16. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Are you suggesting that they are still making the Sphinx coins dated in the 1950's?

17. pragmatic

Nope. The sphinx coins had been minted 1954 to 1958 only. I am talking about new mints. The man told me you go book a coin (new mint) yet you get nothing. For reasons i mentioned above. The only case of reviving an old currency occured to the paper banknotes of 25, 50 piasters and 1 pound. They had been phased out for some years but recently pumped again with same shape (only difference is a watermark, signature of the governor of the central bank and of course the date lol).
    As for coins, i haven't witnessed any case of re-minting of old or phased out coins.

18. pragmatic

One more commemorative coin from egypt; 20 piasters 1989

Obverse:
    General Authority for Health Insurance Silver Jubilee. 1964-1989
    Al 'eed al feddy lel hay'a al 'amma lel ta'meen al sehhy العيد الفضى للهيئة العامة للتأمين الصحى
    Theme: map of Egypt. The crescent (symbol or logo of health care) and 4 persons; senior, man, woman and a child.
    20170620_000610.jpg
    Reverse as usual. However, the design is unique (the big circle with the face value 20 qersha قرشا and the date within 1989-1409)
    Bottom: calligraphy of ARE.
    20170620_000621.jpg

19. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Okay here's mine. I only have one Egyptian coin but would love to get more. Also ancient Egypt had a proclivity for making large circulating coins. They even came out with large gold octodrachms.
    [​IMG]
    This piece is an AE 47 from the reign of Ptolemy II (reigned 283 - 246 BC) weighing 98.1 grams. The characteristic golden color comes from alloying their copper with tin (as opposed to the Romans who used lead). The center pit is of course the centering hole they used to make and trim the planchlets prior to striking.

20. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

All very nice coins :)

pragmatic likes this.
  21. Johndoe2000$

That Eagle has as much detail as a modern. Awesome coin.

Gallienus and pragmatic like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted