Coins converted to necklaces

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Beginner345, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Beginner345

Beginner345 Active Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Your link does not point to what you are talking about.

4. Beginner345

5. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Coin is genuine, I personally don't see the sense of converting any coin into jewelry, especially not a low quality common copper coin. Some people will buy, and wear this. The value of the coin could be damaged if the coin is damaged due to being converted into jewelry.

6. Beginner345

To the history buffs on this board, would you wear this? or any of the other necklaces or rings?

7. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

The coin certainly has history, but I wouldn't wear any coin as jewelry. This is low quality coin jewelry.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I didn't agree when some countries put jewels on coins, but in both cases, they draw attention as they are unusual, and if they weren't rare enough to be put into museums, I wouldn't worry about them. Unique pieces I would not like to see, but ones where there are multiples, should be the desire of the owner. Evidently the seller found it easier and more profitable to sell this way than as coins. Royalty and rich have habits of re-cutting unique gemstones for similar reasons ( such as the hope diamond). If he was selling at a yard sale, he would most likely use fakes from Europe or China.

9. Beginner345

The thing is, the coins could be real but the silver or gold necklaces might not be.
    some of those coins are Constantinian dynasty- worth a dime a dozen.

I am curious if they are worth it or not

Do they sell these on vcoins?

10. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

Lots of the coins you see in jewelry are a low grade coin . The maker or artist would more likely make more money by adding a necklace or bending the coin into a ring . I personally do not like coin jewelry . The seller's profit margin is likely much better then the 1 or 2 dollars they may get for the coin. I doubt places like v coins would sell something like the one you showed. I think when there are millions of certain types of coins who cares if some get turned into something different. It open the hobby for someone to collect something different or unique. Each item would be different in its own way. Coin jewelry has been around for hundreds of years , and will probably be here for a long time . I really despise when someone takes a beautiful semi key or key coin and drills it , or bends it into a ring. I imagine that some of the Chinese fakes would be suitable for that kind of use because they are not worth squat otherwise. What others choose to do is their choice , but I like the coins as coins not something hanging around somebodies neck or on their finger.

benhur767 likes this.
  11. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Here is a better direct link:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper-Money/11116/m.html?_ssn=sport_authority

The coins all look perfectly genuine. The mounts however are very poorly done. Coin jewelry has always been popular ever since coins have been made, but it certainly is a matter of personal choice. Not everyone sees the same thing in jewelry or the choices of coins, the types of mounts, etc. I have worn this one here daily for about 30 years now (I think, I dont remember specifically):

Necklace.jpg

My sister made the mount for me, I chose the coin as it cost me about $15 back then, it had problems and I was not too worried about wear and tear on the coin itself. Also, when I am long dead and gone it can be easily removed from the mount with no damage (though I am sure there will be lots of toning and staining below the mount itself).

I had it done as I like it. Very simple. I am sure this seller thinks these are really cool and attractive, and I scanned through his 100% feedback for a bit and saw a number sold and they buyers happy. If both parties are happy, why not?

Does anyone on VCoins sell these? I dont know, I have not noticed, but I am sure some have in the past.

12. Beginner345

Nice roman republic denarius.Who is that??

13. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I no longer remember and I cannot read the reverse legend any more. If I took the time to look it up I am sure to find it (I think 80's BC). But the specific attribution is not so important as its value as jewelry, I suppose.

14. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I don't think it looks good. The jewelry fittings don't go with the coin. The image of the serrated Republican coin pendant that @Ken Dorney posted looks beautiful because the custom fittings compliment the coin and don't look mass produced. Also, I think if the coin featured a female personality, such as Athena, Diana, or Tyche, it would be more appealing to women.

Interesting post, @Beginner345 !

EARRINGS.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Beginner345 likes this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have no problem with coins (ancient or modern) being made into jewelry as long as they are common coins. I haven't made any myself but I did buy this Alexander III-style drachm already set into 14k gold. The coin is beautiful and a rather nice example of the specific type. It was my best bargain of that entire coin show-- less than $100. How could I pass it up? I wear it frequently.

[​IMG]

Using a bronze coin for a pendant is a bad idea because of salty perspiration and skin oils.

16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

17. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Beginner345, using coins in jewelry & art objects is a touchy subject, some approve & some don't. No serious coin collector would take a valuable no-problem coin & mount it in jewelry or an art object. But lets not forget, the Roman & Byzantine elites did this all the time! They recognized that coins & medals were works of art that should be admired. I think anyone with good taste would be embarrassed to wear the coin you have illustrated. The photo attached below shows a Roman gold patera set with 16 beautiful gold aurii, something unthinkable today. Patera of Rennes.jpg

18. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

This massive bowl (1300 gr.) is known as the Patera of Rennes, it dates from 209-212 AD, the most recent aureus being one of Geta. It was found in 1774 in Rennes and given to Louis XV. Stolen in 1831 in the Great Cabinet des Médailles Theft, but miraculously retrieved from the Seine shortly after. One of the great precious metal works of art in Roman history.

19. Beginner345

that's a good point
    Those John Hyrcanus earrings looks a bit odd looking.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  20. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I agree, and to wear them in such a fashion seems to make light of their symbolism.

21. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Johndakerftw, AncientJoe and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted