Coins/bills with Stalin on them

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by bugo, Jul 8, 2014.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Did the USSR mint any coins or print any bills with Joseph Stalin's picture on them? What about other Soviet satellite states?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

I thought it said stains for a second, then i read it again and realized it was stalin...

4. onecenter

onecenter Member

I knew there had to be at least one, and I just happened to open my 1993 edition of the Standard Catalog of World Coins, and up popped Uncle Joe.

Czechoslovakia issued a pair of silver of coins (Kcs 50 and Kcs 100) for Marshal Stalin's 70th birthday in 1949. At the time, Klement Gottwald was the Communist Party leader and President of Czechoslovakia and was considered at the time as Stalin's most loyal eastern European satellite leader.

bugo likes this.
  5. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I don't know of any Soviet coins or notes with Stalin's portrait on them. I find it interesting that this was true even at the height of the Stalin personality cult during the 30's and 40's. Perhaps the propaganda posters were considered to be more effective. For example, one poster showed Stalin posing with a little girl with the inscription, "Thank you, Comrade Stalin, for my happy childhood". The girl's parents were arrested and shot soon after that picture was taken...

bugo likes this.
  6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I don't believe there are any coins with Hitler or Mussolini on them either. For whatever reason the dictators didn't put themselves on their money. I know I've seen Hitler on stamps but I don't know about Stalin.

7. onecenter

onecenter Member

Marshal Stalin was unusually modest as a leader who shunned certain sovereign symbols of the Soviet state; coins, banknotes, even postage stamps. There are only a few Soviet stamps with Stalin's portrait issued prior to 1953, but that is all. This is a man who famously understated, "the leaders come and go, but the people always remain."

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

double posted sorry. erase this 1 thanks. :muted:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

12. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

There were only two types of coins with the Stalin's portrait.

Attached Files:

• 65.jpg
      65.jpg
      File size:
      174.5 KB
      Views:
    • 66.jpg
      66.jpg
      File size:
      159 KB
      Views:
    • 73.jpg