Coins at the Eretz Israel Museum in Tel Aviv

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nerva, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

IMG_2011.JPG
    There's a whole pavilion of coins at the Eretz Israel Museum, which I visited recently. I loved the display. It mixes beautiful rarities like an Athenian decadrachm with quite ordinary coins. I have better examples of some of the Republicans in my own collection! It showed some supreme numismatic masterpieces alongside more ordinary coins that can be just as interesting. It's a bit like the cointalk forum!

It starts with a display about how coins were made, including some original moulds and some dramatic 'error' coins.
    IMG_2012.JPG IMG_2013 (2).JPG
    There were lots of different kinds of displays, which were like an illustrated guide to 'ways of collecting ancient coins'. I think the 'denominations' display was just an excuse to show off their decadrachm.
    IMG_2020.JPG

Similarly for Republicans:
    IMG_2030.JPG
    Then there are reverse types:
    IMG_2040.JPG IMG_2041.JPG
    And cities:
    IMG_2024.JPG
    There are some hoards shown in context, like this bag of coins found on a shipwreck. Altogether there were 500kg of copper coins from Syrian mints, struck in the late 14th century.
    IMG_2034.JPG
    I got the sense that this was a coin collector's museum and I enjoyed it immensely. Other pavilions showed glass, ceramics and postal history, and there are some impressive ancient remains on the museum campus.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great displays. That would be a fun way to spend a day. Thanks for the photos.

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Wow. Just wow. Love the error Janus coin. Who am I kidding, I love everything about that place!

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

6. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Thanks a lot!

Draft saved Draft deleted