Featured "COINS - AS SEEN ON TV!" Featuring RCTV Rare Collectibles TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Norsk64, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Christopher

Ray Christopher New Member

How rare are these

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ray Christopher

Ray Christopher New Member

What's it worth. It has to be uncirculated BC no 100 yr old coin can look this good

Attached Files:

4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

The higher cost is not my main gripe. My gripe on all the TV coin shows is how they make unrealistic claims concerning rarity of the coins being offered. Rick hawks Proof Franklin haves in his presentations quite often. He uses SLABBED numbers from a couple of major grading services as his point to claim "Rarity". The amount of the same coin ungraded is many times higher, and will continue to grow as more coins are submitted to be graded. The value will continue to fall as supply increases and demand declines.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I've read MANY people, maybe even members on CoinTalk, get obsessed over slabbed populations. It's a common mistake, in my view. Many fall into what I believe is the "trap" (intentionally provocative word) of believing that most slab-worthy coins are already in plastic. I simply don't believe it, because I see it. I regularly buy raw coins and successfully submit them to NGC. There are TONS of slab-worthy coins still out there - TONS! Not moderns either. I'm talking classics.

6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There's more mark up on jewelry and furniture than there is on coins. A piece of jewelry with $30 worth of material and $20 worth of labor might wholesale at $200 and retail at $500.

Furniture isn't much better but labor costs are a higher percentage of total cost.

7. SchwaVB57

As stated by many different people above. The mark up is not what most posters object to. It is the Marketing Tactics, spinning the rarity or value of the coin, to as PT Barnum was supposed to have said "a sucker born every minute." The TV host is targeting uninformed buyers because the host claims to be an expert. The buyer in most cases deserves what they get, because the greed of selling at a higher price is in the back of their mind. They are usually never going to get 1/2 of the purchase price back; let alone a return on the initial investment.

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The TV sellers walk a fine line but don't cross it: their presentations imply that their coins are investments, but they never come out and actually say it. They protect themselves by letting the buyer fill in the blanks.

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Actually, I have heard them cross the line many times. I've heard them give absolutely false information in the interest of "educating" their audience.

They try to walk the line, but at times, they fail.

JPeace$, Stevearino and Santinidollar like this.
  10. SchwaVB57

On last night's show Rick stated the 2 proof 69 Franklins he was selling for $3500.00 should be $10,000 someday. Someday never comes!

11. mikenoodle

I was referring more to little things that are mis-truths... like Mike Meczak insisting that the "number 1 driver of value is rarity" which is about as false as it gets. The number 1 driver of value is demand.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

Watcha' 'spect? It's Chicago, Mike. :D:D:D Off topic, Mike, but Dave Harper of NN is sponsoring me as an NLG member. We'll see.

mikenoodle likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

What if Meczak said, "EVENTUALLY rarity drives value." I agree demand is king, but the "key coin effect" proves that rarity can actually drive demand, which drives value. Subtle difference but important.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Proof 69 Franklins should be tough to find.

15. SchwaVB57

Which RARITY drives the most demand or value? Absolute or Condition?

16. mikenoodle

Kurt, here's where your idea breaks down:

3 cent Nickels. Scarce as all get out. Collectible, too.

No demand, and as such, low prices and lower re-sale prices.

Demand drives the car. rarity drives how fast the price goes up.

Kind of like Amps vs Volts.

JPeace$ likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

Aha. I see that as a temporary effect in a temporary fetiche du jour on precious metals coins. Normalcy shall return.

18. mikenoodle

This 'temporary effect" has been ongoing for over 30 years.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

We have to decide whether we're a coin hobby or a bullion hobby. You know where I stand - bullion can go to ....

20. mikenoodle

The coin I mentioned is not bullion, it's a coin. It was part of why I used that example.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

I know, that's what makes it not hot right now. If it had a little silver in it, the PM fetishists would be all over it. It's not, and they're not. More for me.

Same with early coppers. I'm getting sick deals, because everybody else is at the auction to buy "Fiscal Armageddon Insurance", aka silver and gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.