Featured "COINS - AS SEEN ON TV!" Featuring RCTV Rare Collectibles TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Norsk64, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

And therein lies the rub with me. Many of these shows exploit people's curiosity but look to actively take advantage of either their viewers' lack of knowledge, greed, or better yet, a combination of the two.

swish513, CoinZone and Norsk64 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Sounds just like a "Marketing 101 Class" would help out some exploited viewers.

4. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I get a kick out of the gold sellers who show a table full of double eagles and then offer you an identical looking (blown up picture) coin for only $159 without ever stating that you're getting a 1/10 ounce coin.

Jebocement, Curtisimo and CoinZone like this.
  5. CoinZone

CoinZone Active Member

Tricky tricky sellers. Con men.

6. Joea59

Joea59 Member

That's the first one that came to my mind. When we do watch him my wife says "I JUST WANT TO SLAP HIM!" And she doesn't even collect coins.

Jebocement, Stevearino and Norsk64 like this.
  7. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Since we are talking about television coin shows, here is the link to a past CoinTalk thread (April 21, 2011) I read years ago (do not click on the link unless you are 21 years old or older): https://www.cointalk.com/threads/iv...-some-fun-watching-hsn-coin-collector.170215/

The thread does not provide a detailed analysis of coin television shows, as in this thread, but for those of you who may be inclined to watch Mike Mezack and company, the thread offers an interesting idea to help you through the shows.

Norsk64 likes this.
  8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I've never seen this show but I did pick up and read the 50-70's Cameo and brilliant proof coinage book and I have to say I was disappointed in it. It contained a sparse amount of info that I found to have any real use at all. In fact imo the whole book isn't a book at all, it's nothing more than a thinly veiled investment pitch looking to get buyers lined up or to dive into the market segment....Coincidental when the guy writing the book is also one of the same guys looking to sell you those coins and make his living off of it. But really it's for your benefit so you can get in on the ground floor before the inevitable moon shot of prices occurs.

I have no problem with people trying to sell me things but used car salesmen type selling tactics are a bit off putting.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    joecoincollect likes this.
  9. Norsk64

Norsk64 The Coin TV Critic

Yes, and suffice to say there is a stench of manipulative selling tactics at RCTV. I pointed out the misleading eBay & auction house comparison tactic used, and hopefully and viewers will learn from it. You just have to know your coins and their price range in the marketplace. Excluding Coin TV comps is a good start. Thanks for the comment. New write-up coming in the next 3 weeks!

RonSanderson likes this.
  10. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

You won last year. You aren't suffering anymore.

11. Norsk64

On the contrary. Those drubbings and pain over the years, doesn't go away overnight. But being a World Champion sure does taste sweet!

12. swish513

You're expected to repeat. My team, however, is expected to finish last in the NL Central. YOU AREN'T SUFFERING!

13. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

This is when the modern PR/MS70 collectors have an heart attack.

Santinidollar likes this.
  14. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

[QUOTE="SchwaVB57, post: 2688507,
    Rick admits on air he gets first crack at high end collections because he is considered an expert in the field of RARE COINS.[/QUOTE]

LOL!, Kennedy's are rare?

15. swish513

Anything sold on QVC, HSN, or the like, isn't worth buying. You can rate any infomercial (which is all they really are) by whatever standards you want, but no one with knowledge is buying what you (and them) are selling. As seen on TV is a scam. They prey upon those without knowledge.

joecoincollect likes this.
  16. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

A Gem frosted '66 half dollar has real value and a real market. There are hundreds of collectors and only dozens of specimens. But the corner dealer doesn't have access to these markets and doesn't care. You don't try to sell an 1804 cent to a dealer at a flea market either.

17. Norsk64

Which I have said in numerous replies. Not that they're "scams", but that when it comes to Coin TV, you have to know your coins and their true market worth. Which in Coin TV land, that is the case 99% of the time and price valuations are pure fantasy on their part. Again, once in a great while, there are good opportunities out there. But you must know what you're buying. Unfortunately, many do not. That is why I will be writing this series. To be impartial with all shows, but also call them out for misleading practices. To inform and educate. That's the goal.

18. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

A couple of years ago I saw an infomercial with Pat Boone (yes, that Pat Boone of "April Love" and "Love Letters in the Sand") selling bullion coins.

:)

19. Norsk64

LOL! Did he sing about the outlook for bullion coins? If he did a few years back when spot prices were higher, I bet he would be singing a different tune today for those that bought back then. Thanks for the comment!

20. Norsk64

Yes, perhaps I over graded the Presentation aspect. Despite the clothes and background however, RCTV does give an informative analysis on a given coin or set with pop numbers, coin background/history, and the desire to show viewers to educate. An example is showing hairlines on a proof coin, when viewed properly with a fluorescent lamp. Rick will cut open a proof set, and examine a coin very carefully under light to show flaws. It's informative and educational, particularly for that novice collector that feels they have a great looking coin from Proof Set, when in reality it has hairlines and thereby resulting in a disappointing grade if submitted to grading service. You don't see such info on other shows. But your point and own analysis is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Jebocement and chascat like this.
  21. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Will a future write up include AVC Collectible Coins with Don Davis? I have not bought from Don Davis so I cannot vouch for the quality of the coins he sells but some of Don Davis' prices seem reasonable to me and I have been tempted to test it. Has anyone bought from Don Davis? How was your experience?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.