Featured "COINS - AS SEEN ON TV!" Featuring RCTV Rare Collectibles TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Norsk64, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I have a lot of respect for Rick Tomaska and have spoken to him. He knows a lot about coins and is very sharp. He's always had a reputation for having many of the best coins and pricing them high.

Obviously on TV he's going to need to price them even higher.

As a general rule collectors will rarely find the best value on TV and no collector should ever buy coins without having a feel for their true value. You need to try to sell a coin once in a while to know what they're really worth. This sure doesn't mean taking a Gem frosty 1966 half dollar into the corner coin shop where a modern basher buys most coins at spot.

Very few coins in this hobby are retailed so people have a tendency to see retail prices and call it a rip-off. But the fact is more and more coins (especially moderns) are being sold at retail.

RonSanderson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I just don't think that Rick's overhead (apart from what it costs to do tv) is any higher than anyone else's.

He just charges a stiff premium for his coins. I felt confident that I could find equal coins for less money, and I did.

4. Norsk64

Norsk64 The Coin TV Critic

I have purchased on Coin TV at very select times over the years, depending on the coin or currency, and it's price. For the most part, it has been when I'm wearing my dealer hat and knowing its' resale ability at a higher price. There are instances when there's an effort to shed inventory and as quickly as possible. Or when a special purchase is made and priced, without the Coin TV Seller actually knowing what the market will tolerate, thereby underpricing it. That's something I'm always watching for. And despite your "never" seeing such a thing, I can't help that. If you want a specific example, I'd be happy to recall a few past purchases I've made and resold at a much higher price. Private message me. It's no ones business as to what I specifically look for to be put out into a public forum such as this.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If you have access to it, don't forget ESN Direct.

6. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I admit I watch way too much of the show. I tune in just to see how much he gets for common 1964 Kennedy's MS-67. There are still 100's of unopened rolls in stackers safe's that when slabbed down the road drive down the value drastically.

Rick admits on air he gets first crack at high end collections because he is considered an expert in the field of RARE COINS.

7. mikenoodle

My point, and maybe I'm being too obtuse in making it is that this is a claim not necessarily the truth. There are hundreds of dealers out there beating the bushes for bargain stuff every day. Rick is no different from any of them.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    coinsareus10 likes this.
  8. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Agreed!

9. mikenoodle

and many of the people here are experts in the field of RARE COINS as well.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Actually, and with all due respect, sir; by even mentioning it, you "put" it out there and made it everyone's business. Otherwise, it's nothing more than another baseless claim on a forum full of them.

11. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

For one thing, 1964 Kennedys in MS67 are not at all common...most of these came from mint sets and not from rolls...I seriously doubt that if all remaining rolls or bags of MS Kennedys were cherrypicked not more than a handful will surface.

12. mikenoodle

This reads more like an endorsement than a review, but time will tell. If the OP publishes more "reviews" of other coin tv shows, then we will see. Until then, this looks like nothing more than an ad for Rick and his show.

joecoincollect likes this.
  13. Norsk64

It's up to the reader to decide. No different than when a movie critic reviews a film. It's not his or her role to bash or praise a particular movie. Same here. This isn't "bash" or "love" a particular Coin TV show/network. It's all based on my observations and experiences. I have nothing to prove or gain from my writing(s).

Murphy45p and RonSanderson like this.
  14. mikenoodle

actually, I thought that a critic's job was exactly that. To either recommend or not based on their opinion.

look, I'm not trying to give you grief, but I am trying to figure out why you'd have anything good to say about coin tv shows when it comes to value. The numbers just never work out for the buyer when it comes to these shows.

15. Norsk64

Your respect is appreciated. But this isn't about me and my dealer strategy. I was basically told there is "NEVER" an opportunity to purchase on Coin TV for a "great price". That is false. But I am not going to deviate from the original write-up, and spell out what I bought, and from whom, and what I ultimately sold it for. To question my rare buying decisions on Coin TV is just lunacy. A "baseless claim" assumes I have something to gain. Not sure what that would be.

RonSanderson likes this.
  16. Norsk64

A critic will usually have a "star" grade for a film. Even a movie with the 2 stars out of 5 might have something the critic may like.

Jebocement likes this.
  17. Norsk64

As have I 99% of the time if I do decide to buy the very same coin. That's why RCTV scored so low on Price/Value.

18. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I agree. I have seen good deals as well.

Norsk64 likes this.
  19. CoinZone

CoinZone Active Member

I just wish the women on these shows were in bikini tops and showcased the coins alongside their better assets. IMHO

20. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

You guys have hit on something, I think.

This is the new retail. And the buyers are coin collectors, not numismatists.

On this forum we have the reverse. Here, there are discussions about how market grading falls short of describing a coin. But TV is the Market for which market grading is perfect.

Even coin shops are now enclaves for numismatic sales, to numismatists. Their market is not so much "retail" as it used to be. They have had to adapt to a different niche. (Think bullion, which is a commodity, not a collectible.)

And we all buy at wholesale now. We buy where dealers buy, not where "coin shoppers" buy. That hardly makes a ripple, given that the coins we want are so esoteric that another market for some of them can hardly be found.

"Step right up, special prices for the next 30 callers for proof 3-cent nickels." Not likely.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Norsk64 likes this.
  21. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

You're absolutely correct...When Rick describes a proof coin as PF69 and says it's top pop, or none better, he fails to mention that PF CAM and DCAM coins even exist at all. These are the grades a numismatist will normally insist on having, not brilliant PF coins which an average collector is happy to own.

Norsk64 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.