Featured "COINS - AS SEEN ON TV!" Featuring RCTV Rare Collectibles TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Norsk64, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I can't wait to read his review of Mike Meczak!

Stork likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I used to follow Rick when he first compared the relative rarity of cameos by denomination, year and intensity of contrast in the silver proof issues . . . I placed a lot of stock in what he had to say back then.

Since he jumped on the high grade bandwagon, however, I have shelved the guy.

I hope not to offend anyone here, but those issues in the highest of grades, of which there are thousands graded, might just as well be dinner plates as far as I'm concerned. The pumped prices of contrived rarities are not sustainable, and I can't stand watching unsuspecting buyers get stuck in stuff like that.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

And this comment comes from a card-carrying cameo proof fan. Do still have your card, right Mike?

Paul M. likes this.
  5. mikenoodle

I do. I tried to buy one from Rick. I found the same coin for less than 1/3 of what he wanted.

I also overpaid for his book.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

I bought the book, but I never bought a coin from him. I'd like to see an updated edition to the book, but then again, that might not serve his interests. I'm going to a back-country auction this weekend with proof sets with some OBVIOUS deep cams in them that I can see from even the crummy low-res photos.

Paul M. and mikenoodle like this.
  7. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you will get your wish.

8. mikenoodle

I'm totally jealous, Kurt

9. Norsk64

Norsk64 The Coin TV Critic

On presentation, I tried to focus on the overall information being presented about the coins he is selling. There are definitely shortfalls such as background (painted tree in fake window), Ricks wardrobe choice (Aloha dude!), and inflated & unrealistic eBay and auction house price comparisons. Over the course of a presentation however, there is usually good background/history on coin, including older minting technologies (or lack thereof!), and much information that may be new and beneficial to newer collectors. Coins also look to be of the highest quality. And for the prices he asks, they ought to be! Thanks for the comment!

10. Norsk64

Never have at a Show, but I could only imagine. He does sell on eBay also, and while the coins are typically of the highest quality, the prices he asks are moon money compared to others out there.

JPeace$ likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

Depends on how many others see what I saw and my poker abilities.

By the way, tell Matt that the KV Racing auction is going on in Indianapolis on Saturday. I'd love to see Dinger in his own IndyCar.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  12. Norsk64

Yes, he like Barry Chappel used to do, loves to point out who has purchased a coin(s) or set during presentation, with first name and where the buyer is from. And he is pretty "giddy" about it. As for his costs, he normally will cherry-pick raw coins which he pays for the right to do, and submit to NGC or PCGS. Even with a heavy discount, that's got to be pricey on his end, plus his time cost. He also has a staff, rent, and air-time costs. He is on during prime-time also which is even more expensive. Not an excuse to be so overpriced, and deceitful when it comes to eBay & auction house prices, but only he as owner knows the real costs incurred, and what it takes to have a coin show on TV. Thanks for the comment!

13. Norsk64

I'm licking my chops on the next one (HSN Vault - Coin Collector hosted by Mike Meczak). Stay tuned! Thanks for the comment!

14. mikenoodle

what does this line mean? Who does he pay for this right?

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Seriously? Says the guy who can't go a day without shamelessly promoting his own preferred "joke" and "scourge". Of ALL people, you're the last one who should be making the shill accusation.

micbraun likes this.
  16. Norsk64

Yes, he tries to be entertaining, and that is part of the reason he graded an "A" in Presentation. Among other reasons mentioned in another reply post.

As for pricing, yes, RCTV is definitely overpriced pretty much all the time. There are still occasions when they do have a great price on an offering, and/or it being a "rarely seen" item. I am a coin dealer on eBay, and I'm always looking for that rarely seen coin or currency note that is evasive elsewhere. Most shows do present opportunities for gain as a collector and/or dealer. I've seen them and gladly purchased. Rarely a regret as both collector and dealer over several years. But the viewer needs to know their product. "Knowledge is Power" when it comes to Coin TV!

Jebocement likes this.
  17. Norsk64

Individuals out there, Old dealer contacts, estates, that may have a large amount of GEM coins in their possession. Rick will pay for the privilege of cherry-picking given coins, and buying what he thinks will grade highly.

18. mikenoodle

I have NEVER seen an offering on tv that was reasonably priced let alone a "great price". The overhead is too high.

I ask you to give an example of anything priced competitively on tv.

19. mikenoodle

How do you know this fact?

20. Norsk64

I mention it as fact, not just because Rick Tomaska says it, but that my Brother was a coin dealer for many years and would sometimes pay a fee to holder of large amount UNC coins from a given year.

21. mikenoodle

so, you're assuming this to be fact, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.