Coins And History

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by old49er, Dec 15, 2016.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi All, Just an idea for an interesting thread. I love learning history from coins. I like to research, and learn what the world was like, the year that coin was minted. I think it really adds appreciation and interest. Here's an example of what I mean. This is one of my favorites so far. The 1881 Morgan Dollar and the history of the year it was minted. Here's the coin and the history of that year. Feel free to post some of your coins and their history. 1881smorgandollar obv.jpg 1881smorgandollar rev.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1881_in_the_United_States

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well I tried but I just can't resist. So here's the coin -

1364 Cavalier D'Or obv.jpg 1364 Cavalier D'Or rev.jpg

And here's the history -

It was designed and minted specifically to pay the ransom for a King captured in battle by his arch enemy The Black Prince; and he was held in captivity for many years until the people of his Kingdom could raise the money to free him. The coins were gold of course, and their very name meant Free - to free their King.

Now the deal was struck, and the coins were struck, and the first installment of the ransom was paid - 600,000 of these, out of total of 3 million. At last - the King was free and returned to his land. But his son, who had ruled in his absence, refused to pay the next installment (400,000) of the ransom. The proud and noble King, in order to uphold his honor, willingly returned to captivity in the foreign land - only to die there, still a prisoner, months later. But the coin, and its name would last and be in use for the next 700 years, forever symbolizing freedom.

The war of course was the 100 Years War between France and Great Britain. The King was Jean le' Bon (John he Good) aka John !!) of France. The Black Prince was Edward, Prince of Wales, Aquitaine and Gascony, eldest son of Edward III King of Great Britain.

This specific coin was struck in 1364 by the Count Louis de Male of the Netherlands and it is known as the franc a' cheval. This one was graded MS64 and was (and probably still is) the finest known example. The franc a' cheval was the very first French franc.

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Gorgeous coin Doug! Love it! I've been contemplating going down the rabbit hole of coins from the 100 years war, but have other areas of focus at the moment.

As for coins and their history, I think just about all of my posts are that...

Stevearino likes this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but (after seeing the ransom coin) that the U.S went after the foreign countries involved in the War of 1812 for reparation, and were paid in their countries gold & silver coins. It was quite a read, I think in Numismatic News. The coins were melted down and the funds were used to re-balance the budget. It was a fiasco though as Congress also passed laws to stop shipping good to those countries unless the reparations were paid. Wish I had a link to share.

Johndoe2000$ and old49er like this.
  7. old49er

Wow Doug, thanks for posting that interesting coin! Its a real beauty, and What a background and history to go along with it.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

JDcahill, kaparthy, dlgilles and 4 others like this.
  9. old49er

That's a really great coin/History Muzyck. Thanks for sharing. That's an interesting time in the United States History. I always thought it would be cool, to get coin types from every year of the Civil War, as a unique typeset.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  10. old49er

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

1933 Coinage of the short lived Islamic Republic of Eastern Turkestan also know as The Uighuristan Republic or ETR. These were crudely overstruck on other coins of the region. Excerpt taken from Wiki.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Turkestan

Early 20th century
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The First ETR (1933) existed around Kashgar; the second ETR (1944–1949) around Ghulja

In 1912, a Republican Revolution overthrew the Qing Dynasty and created a Republic of China. As Yuan Dahua, the last Qing governor, fled from Xinjiang, one of his subordinates, Yang Zengxin (杨增新), took control of the province and acceded in name to the Republic of China in March of the same year. In 1921, the Soviet Union officially defined the Uyghurs as the sedentary Turkic peoples from Chinese Turkestan as part of their nation building policy in Central Asia.[3] Multiple insurgencies arose against Yang's successor Jin Shuren (金树仁) in the early 1930s throughout Xinjiang, usually led by Chinese Muslims.[26] "East Turkestan" became a rallying cry for people who spoke Turki and believed in Islam to rebel against Chinese authorities.[20] In the Kashgar region on November 12, 1933, Uyghur separatists declared the short-lived[14] and self-proclaimed East Turkestan Republic (ETR), using the term "East Turkestan" to emphasize the state's break from China and new anti-China orientation.[23]

The First ETR gave political meaning to the erstwhile geographical term of East Turkestan.[18] However, the Chinese warlord Sheng Shicai (盛世才) quickly defeated the ETR and ruled Xinjiang for the decade after 1934 with close support from the Soviet Union.[27] Eventually, though, the Soviet Union exploited the change in power from Sheng to Kuomintang officials to create the puppet Second East Turkestan Republic (1944–1949) in present-day Ili Kazakh Autonomous Prefecture to exploit its minerals,[28] later justifying it as a national liberation movement against the "reactionary" Kuomintang regime.[3] Amid the anti-Han programs and policies[27] and exclusion of "pagans",[20] or non-Muslims, from the separatist government,[28] Kuomintang leaders based in Dihua (Ürümqi) appealed to the long Chinese history in the region to justify its sovereignty over Xinjiang. In response, Soviet historians produced revisionist histories to help the ETR justify its own claims to sovereignty, with statements such as that the Uyghurs were the "most ancient Turkic people" that had contributed to world civilization.[3] Traditionally, scholars had thought of Xinjiang as a "cultural backwater" compared to the other Central Asian states during the Islamic Golden Age.[12] Local British and American consuls, also intrigued by the separatist government, published their own histories of the region. The Soviet Uyghur histories produced during its support of the ETR remain the basis of Uyghur nationalist publications today.[3]

12. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

A relic from the 'Interregnum'

King Charles I lost more than the English Civil War. In 1649 he lost his head and England began a period of eleven years without a monarch. Even so, crowns were still minted.

1658 crown of Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland, a single year issue as he died that September. The crown is noted for its high strike quality due to the mechanized milling and press process introduced by Pierre Blondeau, former engineer of the Paris mint. The dies were produced by the Royal Mint's chief engraver, Thomas Simon. These were issued from a single die pair and the crack through the lower obverse can be seen on many examples.

[​IMG]

Cromwell ascended to this position, king in all but name, from his distinguished service in the Parliamentarian army during the English Civil War. The resignation of Lord Fairfax, lord general of the army, who opposed the execution of Charles I, left Cromwell at the head of the most powerful faction of the new republic in 1649. He assumed full control with the title of Lord Protector in 1653. At his death in 1658, his eldest son assumed the title but could not maintain the military dictatorship. Charles II gained the throne in 1660, ending this brief period of England without a monarch.

13. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

14. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Very nice & appropriate Cromwell crown jgenn. I really like the coins and history theme and think it's a major reason why many "purist collectors" like collecting coins.

Consequently I bought the domain "coins and history . com" for $15 and have tried to organize histories about some of the coin areas that I collect. One such area is the English Civil war in which I've also a Cromwell coin. Unfortunately it's just a half crown {bought from Karl Stephens of CA} as well as my coin from the Royalist sides: an Oxford silver pound of Charles I, 1642.

On your crown many said that the die-break through Cromwell's neck was a bad omen and such things presaged death. Sure enough, after the die broke (?), he died in 1658.

Rather that post the pix here I'll just post the link to my England page from coins and history. https://coinsandhistory.com/countries/Europe_England/England.html

longshot and old49er like this.
  15. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1810, Louis Napoleon annexed the "Kingdom of Holland" (Netherlands?) on July 9, so I guess this coin was minted after that. Wikipedia has more info about that year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1810
    1810 JAVA LN 1 d obv.JPG 1810 JAVA LN 1 d rev.JPG

16. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Correct me in turn if I'm wrong but I don't think this is true. The War of 1812 was just us vs. Britain and our goal was for them to respect our rights as a nation and stop interfering with our shipping. It was basically a draw but achieved those aims. I don't think any reparations were paid.

17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You are correct in that it ended up as a stalemate for the most part and mostly involved the British blockading the U. S. shipping lanes. Much of it was fought on land though and involved indigenous American Indians who were in league with the British. America did receive some reparations from the British for the loss of U. S. slaves who were also employed by the British and promised freedom and land of their own. Approx. $1,240,000.00 in reparations was paid to slave owners. Spain also got involved to some degree in trying to take California. A little further research shows that even though Pres. Jackson sued for reparations he got little to none and infuriated Americans with foreign tariffs until reparations were paid that led to shortages of basic goods. The entire history of the war has been written differently by different authors so it tends to be very confusing. While the U.S. considered the war a major event, in Great Britain it was considered a nuisance war that it not much taught about. The U.S. ended up losing Lower Canada which it wanted for shipping purposes and the British, at the end of the war, ended up pursuing India, Bermuda and other small islands to increase their expansionism. Both sides ended up losing about the same amount of money in waging the war.

Marsyas Mike and old49er like this.
  18. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

The slave compensation makes sense, and yes I know it was fought on land. The U.S. tried and failed to invade Canada and the British burned part of Washington, D.C. But as you said it was more of a nuisance to Britain as they were still fighting Napoleon at the time. The part about California doesn't make sense though as that would have already been Spanish land at the time.

Unfortunately for the U.S., at the time war was declared we had almost no army or navy. We just assumed we'd be able to throw something together and cruise to victory, but that wasn't reality, and by the time we had a decent fighting force, the war was over.

tommyc03 likes this.
  19. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

This coin was being delivered on March 1,
    upload_2020-2-16_15-30-34.png

as Philadelphia was preparing for this on March 4:

upload_2020-2-16_15-31-31.png
    Washington's second inauguration.

20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

This was a commerative issue by the Imperial City of Frankfurt in 1745 for the election of Franz I von Lothringen as Holy Roman Emperor. Franz was married to Maria Theresia of Habsburg. He would succeed Karl VII as HRE. At this time the Emperor was fighting the Prussians under Friedrich II Der Grosse, in the War of the Austrian Succession. IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0168.JPG

21. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is an AV Aureus ND struck 219AD
    Elagalabus.
    When Roman Emperor Macrinus was murdered, The Praetorian Guard made 14 year old, Elagalabus Emperor.
    Once settled in, he started a 4 year reign of debauchery/ murder/ terror. By 222AD even the Praetorians had enough, they dispatched him and his Mom/ threw the remains into the Tiber. IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0692.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted