Coinage of Free France

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ian, Oct 1, 2005.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hey now - if you guys are gonna be showing the fleur-de-lis, the least ya could do is show some gold ones too :D

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Roman British Coins.

Mikjo0,Roman British coins are of interest to British Isles & British Commonwealth coin collectors as well as that Durotriges Stater.The Durotriges formed their own kingdom,as did all the other British tribes.The most famous
    coin-issuing Ancient British ruler was King Cunobelin,who was the King of the Iceni.His widow,Queen Boudicca (or Queen Boadicea) is famous for leading the revolt against the Romans in 61 AD.She was eventually forced to commit suicide after the suppression of the revolt.If you have a copy of the Spink's catalogue,you will find both the Durotriges coin & the Roman British coin listed.

Aidan.

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Thanks Aidan!!
    WoW Doug!!..what year is that gold coin? We're having a competition here to find the oldest coin with the fleur-de-lys on it.At least I am..LOL

5. GDJMSP

Oh don't worry about that - you guys got me beat hands down. I've yet to find anything that really struck my fancy older than 14th century. That one's a 1364-80 franc a' pied.

I just had to throw some gold in - adds a nice contrast to the silver ya know ;)

6. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Oh...alright then....

My only mediaeval french gold BUT it does have nine, yes folks that is NINE f.d.l's on it. Beat that then eh? :p (Edit: actually, counting the lis on the crown it's TWELVE).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sylvester

sylvester New Member

My fleur-de-lis is bigger than yours... ;)

8. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Just in case anyone challenges that, let me be the first to say that i'm happy to take your word and to emphasise that I don't feel any need to check for myself. :D

Ian

9. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

OK Ian,
    Sorry but you asked for it...Thirteen fdl's on the obv. and one on the rev...HA!

Attached Files:

10. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Looks like GDJMSP's 1364-80 franc a' pied has 22 f.d.ls !!

11. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

:mad: The most I can muster on a single coin is thirteen (a gros tournois of Philip VI (le Bel). There is a coin (Blanc au K) which actually has 15 obverse, but I don't have it.

So then, I guess i'll have to do a Sylvester and go for size after all.:eek:

So let's take a gradient approach to this. Here's a dreibatzner / twelve kreutzer from Strasbourg (it's in a half dollar size holder so you can get the idea of scale). :p

Attached Files:

12. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

shhhhhh! I was hoping nobody would notice that ;)

13. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

LOL...Doug wins the lottery and wasn't really playing..so what's the prize?

14. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

One of my most interesting coins bearing the fleur de lys is a Double Tournois from Dombes dated 1640.It is from the reign of a local ruler named Gaston.The reverse has a 3 pointed marking above the fleur de lys.The Double Tournois is the source of 2 British Commonwealth denominations - the Double (pronounced 'dooble'),which came from Guernsey,& the Turner,which was the pre-1650 nickname for the Scots Bodle (2d.).

Aidan.

15. GDJMSP

It's 23 actually - and that's just on the obverse. There is 22 more on the reverse. But who's counting :D

16. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

That's like a whole bouquet. :D
    Incidently,here's a drawing I first saw in Coin World and more recently found on a website that someone posted on here.I wonder if this is what the hammering process actually looked like?

Attached Files:

17. GDJMSP

18. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

I use Mozilla as my browser, and for some reason the image doesn't present.

Tried with IE and it shows up fine.

We Scots have a different take on the meaning of `hammered'. It usually involves copious quantities of alcoholic beverages (preferably Talisker). Mind you, the next day your head might feel like the guy in the image has been using it as an anvil.

Draft saved Draft deleted