Coinage of Carthage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Entella Tetradrachm "The Camp" Ar Tetradrachm Obv Head of beardless Herakles rv Horse head left 17.03 grms 24 mm siciliopunic6.jpg Jenkins 343 O 110/R 281 This coin illustrated

Aunduril, DBDc80, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Gorgeous coin, the whole package.

4. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

carthaged1.jpeg Carthaginians in Italy Ar Half Shekel Obv Head of Tanit l. rv horse stg right. 215-211 B.C. HN 2016 3.68 grms 18 mm

DBDc80, Curtisimo, TIF and 6 others like this.
  5. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NUMIDIA

Numidia - Massinissa Left 203-148 BCE Leaping Horse - thicker face.JPG
    Numidia - Massinissa Left 203-148 BCE Leaping Horse - thicker face

Numidia - Micipsi Left - 148-118 BCE Galloping Horse - thnner face.JPG
    Numidia - Micipsi Left - 148-118 BCE Galloping Horse - thnner face

TIF, Bing, Curtisimo and 2 others like this.
  7. Alegandron

SCIPIO in IBERIA

Carthago Nova Scipio 209-206 BCE AE 14 Horse Head RARE.jpg
    Carthago Nova Scipio 209-206 BCE AE 14 Horse Head

Carthago Nova SCIPIO Africanus Roman Occupation 209-206 BCE Sear Vol2 6575 Left Rare.jpg
    Carthago Nova SCIPIO Africanus Roman Occupation 209-206 BCE Sear Vol2 6575 Left

TIF, Bing, Curtisimo and 2 others like this.
  8. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Such nice coins, everyone!

Last week I watched this video about Massinissa which I found pretty interesting:

Here's a Carthage coin type that I just got that I've been seeking out a good deal on: Palm/Pegasus...
    CollageMaker_20190830_115937807.jpg

And those gorgeous silver coins make me all jealous, as my entire Carthage, Iberian, Sicily collection is just bronze at the moment. I love seeing them all though... I had a bid this weekend on an AR 1/4 shekel, but it didn't hold.

TIF, panzerman, cmezner and 4 others like this.
  9. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

My interest in Carthaginian coins began when I saw an AV gold stater for the first time. One of these days................

I now own a couple dozen bronze and silver coins. I created a shadow box display for the nicer ones including a fairly large 16th century medal of Dido and their famous harbor of Carthage. Also, although expensive (for me) a couple Roman provincial coinage with a reverse depiction of the building of Carthage.

upload_2019-9-1_7-23-23.png
    Zeugitania. Carthage. Second Punic War 220-205 BC.
    Half Shekel AR
    20mm., 3,68g.
    Wreathed head of Tanit left / Horse standing right; sun disk above, O below.
    SNG Copenhagen 362; HN Italy 2016.

upload_2019-9-1_7-24-31.png
    CARTHAGE, Libyan Revolt. Circa 241-238 BC. Æ Shekel (23.5mm, 6.10 g, 9h). Mint on Sardinia. Wreathed head of Tanit left / Three grain ears; inverted crescent and pellet above, Punic gimel and mem flanking central ear. CNP 693i; cf. MAA 70; SNG Copenhagen 247–8.

upload_2019-9-1_7-25-21.png
    North Africa, Carthage Æ15. Circa 400-350 BC. Wreathed head of Tanit left / Horse standing right; palm tree in background; to right, three pellets in triangle. MAA 18l; Jenkins & Lewis 13; SNG Copenhagen 118. 2.94g, 15mm, 10h. From a Swiss Private Collection.
    upload_2019-9-1_7-25-59.png
    CARTHAGE, Second Punic War. Circa 220-215 BC. Æ Trishekel (32mm, 19.84 g, 12h). Carthage mint. Head of Tanit left, wearing wreath of grain ears and single-pendant earring / Horse standing right; palm tree in background to left. MAA 84; Müller, Afrique 147; SNG Copenhagen 344. My first Carthaginian.

Nice selection of Carthaginians in Roma Numismatics auction on 9/29

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    TIF, Valentinian, DBDc80 and 7 others like this.
  10. Alegandron

Nice Pegasos, @Justin Lee ! And thanks for the video. The Massinissa connection with Rome was very complicated, but ultimately the tipping point for the struggle.

Your Carthage collection is great! I started really getting interested by starting with several AE's as you have. The more I fleshed out the history of Republican Rome, the more Carthage coinage became much more desirable for me. They were so intertwined in their histories, even back to a treaty between Rome and Carthage after the Republic was founded. They were told that they could not encroach on any Carthage trading areas, and in effect not allowed to have a Navy. The Romans finally threw off the control and influence of the Etrurian Empire, only to begin to tangle with Carthage!

Carthage Siculo-Punic AE 17 Late 4th-Early 3rd C BCE Tanit Horse Prancing SNG COP 95.JPG
    Carthage Siculo-Punic AE 17 Late 4th-Early 3rd C BCE Tanit Horse Prancing SNG COP 95

Carthage Zeugitana 4th-3rd C BC AE 15 Male Hd Horse Prancing SNG Cop 120.jpg
    Carthage Zeugitana 4th-3rd C BC AE 15 Male Hd Horse Prancing SNG Cop 120

Carthage Zeugitana 400-350 BC AE 13 2.3g Tanit Horse std Palm.jpg
    Carthage Zeugitana 400-350 BC AE 13 2.3g Tanit Horse std Palm

TIF, panzerman, cmezner and 4 others like this.
  11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Hi all, I wanted to share what I've been working on this week. I've created a page on my site that is like a "collage" in a sense of my Carthage coins (and other relevant civilizations) combined with a timeline of Carthage and the Punic wars (not my original material) and curated A/V media pulled together chronologically. I did it for myself as I think it brings together a better sense of the events and progression through the coins... But I thought I'd share it.

Anyways, feel free to check it out and let me know what you think:
    https://iomegacollection.home.blog/punic-timeline/

Andres2, cmezner and TIF like this.
  12. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Right church, different pew. Byzantine coins minted in Roman Carthage are usually, to coin a EAC/C4 term, scudzy. Hard to get hold your breath examples. Well, it's easy, as long as you want to pay a lot. Same thing everywhere.

Attached Files:

Johndakerftw and panzerman like this.
  13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is one of my recent Carthage coins....
    AV Solidus ND Carthage Mint lf (6).jpg lf (7).jpg

Alegandron and Johndakerftw like this.
  14. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

That's a nice and informative page. I just added it to my page of links to good sites about ancient coins:
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/sitelinks.html

15. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Zeugitania, Carthage 300-264 BC

Draft saved Draft deleted