Coin worth $1.88 Million

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bryan the Coin Geek, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Bryan the Coin Geek

Bryan the Coin Geek New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Seems kinda low considering what they have brought in the past. I know the Class III's don't bring as much as the Class I coins but I thought even the class III's had been bringing more than that.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Well, less desirable Class III and only an AU55, (which looks generous), and you have one of the lowest graded, least desirable Types of these. I guess those two facts add up to the sale price. Btw, is there any Class II's in existence anymore, or did all of them get converted?

5. BostonCoins

BostonCoins Well-Known Member

Is it just me... or does anyone else see the irony in all of this?

Since there were no 1804 Silver Dollars struck in 1804 (all dollar struck that year used the 1803 dies)... then all 15 or so known specimens of the 1804 dollar is a fake. They were minted some 30+ years AFTER 1804. We even know what mint employee made the Class II and Class III illegally.

Just amazing that anyone would pay that much for a coin that ... well... for all purposes... is a fake!

I realize it was made at the mint.. I realize that the mint employee used different dies and such to make it happen... but... In the end.. it's not a normal production coin. Only the Class I was officially made for the special Siam set.... Class II and Class III are straight up fakes.

Not saying I wouldn't want it in my collection though!

:)

6. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Hmmm. ANACS graded my 1804 dollar as EF-40 and nobody seems to think it's anything special. I wonder why ;)?

Tag.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have a raw 1804 8 Reales...

Mainebill likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The only known Class II 1804 still in existance is the Mint Collection Specimen in the Smithsonian. Plain edge and struck over an 1857 Swiss Shooting Thaler.

8. Analyst

Analyst Reporter, Researcher

Condor101: <<Seems kinda low considering what they have brought in the past. I know the Class III's don't bring as much as the Class I coins but I thought even the class III's had been bringing more than that.>>

Somewhat true, I spent several minutes examining this coin and I reflected upon past prices for 1804 dollars. I did my best to analyze the result. Please consider my points.

Click to read - Million Dollar Coins in 2014 ANA Auctions, Part 1

Click for:1804 Silver Dollar Sells for $3.88 Million in 2013

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I believe 1800 Draped Bust dollar sold for almost 4.8 million last month. Coin World update said.
    Try www.coinworld.com all million dollars coins are listed.

10. Analyst

Jello, on 10/15/14: <<I believe 1800 Draped Bust dollar sold for almost 4.8 million last month >>

I am almost certain that this statement is false. To the best of my recollection, an 1800 Silver Dollar has never sold for as much as $200,000. Possibly, one from the Pogue Collection may sell for more than 200k in the not too distant future. It is extremely unlikely that an 1800 Draped Bust Dollar would sell for as much as 1.8 million, certainly not for 4.8!

I am a little bit puzzled that Jello implies that there is a source for such detailed information that is in the category of my articles. I have been writing extensively about million dollar numismatic items for more than twenty years, much more so than anyone else, besides maybe QDB. I view the coins, attend the auctions, and analyze them in detail.

The Top Ten Auction Records for Coins & Patterns

That list was current as of Feb. 2013. Since that list was published, I have written about the sales of a Brasher Doubloon, of an 1804 dollar that was already mentioned above, and of two 1913 Liberty Nickels. The Garrett 1804 dollar sold in August 2014 did not realize enough to qualify for the top ten. The sale of the Mickley-Hawn 1804 Dollar in Aug. 2013 is already cited in my post above to this thread.

A Brasher Doubloon realized 4.58m and the Olsen-Hawn 1913 brought 3.29m in Jan. 2014.

Click to Read: Famous Rarities Bring Millions in FUN Auction

Why Should All Collectors Care About Million Dollar Coins?

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

my eyes are NOT as good as once were.when it comes to millions 1 or 4 Is so far out of 99% budget who's really here going after the coin. I did get the .8 right.

12. George Corell

George Corell Member

If you anywhere near a prolific writer as QDB, my hat is tipped to you. Writing is not easy, at least for me. Though I am published I concern myself rather narrowly to Confederate coinage issues. The coin you see as my Avatar is what lead me to research and writing.

Anyone interested in the 1804 dollar should read Eric Newman's book on that. Detailed and comprehensive.

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Okay @George Corell Frankly I'm not sure Why I'm the Subject.Here.
    this was over 3 months ago.
    .......@bye bye

14. George Corell

George Corell Member

Quite frankly jello, you're not the subject here. My reply was to analyst complimenting him on his writing. Having done some myself I understand how hard it can be.

If my complimenting someone else offends you, I am sorry. However I am unlikely to stop complimenting people who do good work.

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:peeking::( 3 pete

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  16. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Touch screen repeated
    @George Corell I was not offended and hopefully I did NOT offend you.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  17. George Corell

George Corell Member

Not offended. Slightly baffled is all. We are good. Merry Christmas!

18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Same to you

19. Analyst

Jello: <<my eyes are NOT as good as once were.>>

I hope that all people interested in Great Rarities will take the time to read my articles on the Internet. With leading web browsers, such as IE, Firefox and Chrome, the magnification level, often misleadingly referred to as the 'zoom' percentage, can be adjusted. Small print can easily be turned into large print.

Jello: <<when it comes to millions 1 or 4 Is so far out of 99% budget who's really here going after the coin.

My honest belief, and CoinTalk members are welcome to disagree, is that there is need for a collector to understand the classic U.S. coins that he cannot afford in order to understand those classic U.S. coins that he can afford. Rarity is not the only factor to consider in such contexts. Learning about the history, traditions and rules that constitute the culture of coin collecting contributes to an understanding of all U.S. coins.

Also, when I was a kid, I really enjoyed learning about Great Rarities, especially 1894-S dimes, 1913 Liberty Nickels and 1804 silver dollars. I wanted to know precisely how much they sold for, even though I could then only afford to spend a few dollars for one coin. Of course, not everyone "here" feels the same way. Even so, I maintain that most collectors are extremely interested in Great Rarities and other famous coins, even if they can never afford to buy them.

Jello: <<I did get the .8 right.>>
    I am sorry for picking on a typo regarding the amount. It was not my intention to focus on that. I was concerned about the claim regarding an "1800" silver dollar and the month indicated, Sept. 2014.

The Garrett 1804 dollar was auctioned by Stack's-Bowers for $1.88m in Aug. 2014. The Mickley-Hawn-Queller 1804 was auctioned by Heritage for about $3.888m, one year earlier, though it is a much better coin. I could understand how someone who is only a little bit interested may confuse the dates and the numbers. For the benefit of interested readers who may not know the details, I wish to set the record straight. If I have irritated Jello, I apologize.

George Corell: << Writing is not easy, at least for me.>>

I never said that writing is easy.

George Corell: << Though I am published I concern myself rather narrowly to Confederate coinage issues.>>

Please tell us how we may go about reading your writings.

George Corell: << Anyone interested in the 1804 dollar should read Eric Newman's book on that. Detailed and comprehensive.

That book is outdated. Further research has been done since it was published. There is a great deal of information in auction catalogues, some of which are available for free in PDF format. QDB, Mark Borckardt, David Stone and others have written much about 1804 dollars. Plus, a recent book by Mark Ferguson is curious.

George Corell: << My reply was to Analyst complimenting him on his writing.>>

I am appreciative. Please feel free to contact me.

How will Coin Collectors Interpret Certified Coin Grades in the Future?

Classic U.S. Coins for less than $500 each, Part 11: Standing Liberty Quarters

20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

@Analyst S☆♧t Happens to offend
    * but no harm or fouls

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted