Coin World Survey

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by longnine009, Dec 13, 2020.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

In case it hasn't been posted already, Coin World
    has been doing a survey of numismatical influencers from 1960 to 2020 who are still living.
    There are 200 names on the list, in alphabetical order, and you can check off as many as you like.
    Insider is on the list as well.

https://www.coinworld.com/influential

benhur767 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What is insider's name? o_O

4. longnine009

Skip Fazzari. He founded INS.

Bob Evancho and paddyman98 like this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I did a cursory run through of the list. It’s hard to vote because there are people there who have influenced the hobby for the greater good, sometimes for the greatest good, and some who deserve to be left to obscurity.

Do you vote for all the good people and leave the bad ones out, or do you vote for all the “movers and shakers” regardless of their ethics or their negative influence? For that reason, I left it blank.

If I were to vote, I would nominate the great writers and researchers, like Dave Bowers and Roger Burdette.

wxcoin and benhur767 like this.
  6. longnine009

Yeah I voted for Bowers and RW Julian. But I also voted for the graders. I can't think of anything that influences numismatics more than graders and TPG's. A lot of names on that list I never heard of.

Penny Luster and johnmilton like this.
  7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

There are far too many on that list who I recognize as outstanding in one or two areas (I don't mean outstanding in different collectible series like Barber Halves and Walkers . . . I mean outstanding in series-specific expertise, service, leadership, representation, authorship, etc).

I suspect there are probably just as many left off the list who could have been listed for outstanding contributions in a couple of areas and were not.

I found 8 who I felt made substantial contributions in numerous diverse areas.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I didn't actually count them but I'd say I voted for about 40 of them.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I voted for several. Didn't see J.T. Stanton on the list. Thought he would be.

Insider likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figured that Mike Diamond would also be on the list.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Sounds a bit like the eternal lists of "Best [album/band/artist] Of All Time", where someone spends an hour or two compiling a list, then gets millions of hits from people arguing over who should/shouldn't be at the top, who was left out, who should have been left out...

baseball21 likes this.
  12. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Shamefully, David Sear was left off of this list :mad:! The books he has authored on Roman coinage have influenced more collectors & dealers than anyone else.

13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

How many ads for ancient coins do you see in "Coin World?"

14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Didn't see Leroy Van Allen or George Mallis on the list. With the popularity of Morgan dollars that was really surprising.

Didn't see my guy either. No Al Overton, but Sheridan Downey was there?

Edit: Going back through Van Allen was there after all.

micbraun and Bob Evancho like this.
  15. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Second correction...it plainly states "living" persons...so no Mallis or Overton.

Insider likes this.
  16. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Not enough these days. I subscribed to Coin World in the 1960s & saw many adds for ancient coins ;).

Alegandron likes this.
  17. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

How about Daniel Carr ? He certainly 'moved and shook' a few purists :rolleyes:

Insider likes this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

There are several prominent names missing from the list, one being Dr. Hollis Pincock, Numismatist. How did you come up with such a short list? Seems to me it was done by "who you know." If you would have considered CT in your survey the list would have represented all 50 states, not by opinion but by recognition. I just included Idaho with my opinion, thank you. Happy Holidays and a safe New Year.

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Immediately reminded me of buzzfeed style click bait lists

Stevearino likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Not just a few, more like a great number and most will not even discuss the topic.
    It just starts fights.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I missed Doug’s name on the list :)

ZoidMeister and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted