Coin World Holders

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dave M, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I like the idea of the Coin World holders being the same size as slabs, for a consistent display and storage. I'm not excited that the liner is green, but the main issue I have is that the sizes are all made for US coins, and therefore the sizes for other coins are all mostly by a mm or three, either large or small.

Is anyone using these holders, and have any feedback on how far off the holder size can be from the coin, and still "work"? And when necessary, should I opt for a holder a few mm too large over one a few mm too small?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I use them for my Morgan dollars and they are very snug. They are nice quality. As for housing world coins, I do not have much experience other than I tried an 1830 Italian States Sardinia 5 Lire in the Morgan insert and it was sloppy. I am not sure what the diameter of the 5 Lire is off hand.

I do know that they do not fit in NGC boxes. Which was irritating since I was looking for a cheap slab holder for all my NGC/PCGS/ANACS/CW holders. Everything fits fine in the NGC holder except for the CW slabs.

4. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Interesting. I thought this holder was supposed to be 2.5" x 3.25", the same size as a PCGS holder. Are they too thick?

5. They don't seem thicker than a normal PCGS slab. The seem to fit fine until it gets about half way down into the slot and then it sticks. I don't know if the slot tapers at the bottom or what, but it's a definite no go.

Dave M likes this.
  6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks for the info!

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I use these for my attribution service -- mostly the silver dollar size. The way they are made, there is a very small lip on the surfaces of the opening to prevent the coins from falling through. You're probably best getting holders that are slightly large. If you get ones with smaller openings, the coin may distort the insert by stretching the opening to fit, which will result in it not being flat when you try to put the shell around it, which will cause the slab to not close or not stay closed. If you go to the Amos Advantage website, they have dozens of sizes for US and Canadian coins, and they show the diameters to 0.1 mm accuracy.

https://www.amosadvantage.com/scott...tegory=CWCHP&category=CWCHP&part_no=&Tab=coin

The old holders had black inserts. I don't know why they switched to green, because I don't like them, either. And, yeah, they don't fit well in NGC boxes. You can get them into the center few slots, but that's about it.

They give a small discount (10-15%, I think) if you order 175 packages (525 slabs), but they probably have to be all the same size.

Dave M likes this.
  8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks! It sounds like I ought to pick up a couple and just see how that over-sizing feels on the ones with a fairly large gap. I think the largest will be about 1mm too big for the coin.

9. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Hmm...I learned something new today. Thanks.

10. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

You might want to look at the "Everslab" or Quickslab" from Lighthouse. The everslab is perminant when closed and the quickslab can be reopened, both have a black insert and are avalible from 14mm-41mm in 1mm increments. Both are avalible here www.lighthouse.us They are made in Germany but ship from a warehouse in NJ. I have not used them but I do use the Quadrum holders from Lighthouse and like them very much. They also sell Intercept boxes for slabs. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Dave M likes this.
  11. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks for mentioning Lighthouse, JAK. I'd searched their site and couldn't find a product until you mentioned the name. Their slabs match the size and look of the NGC slab, whereas the Coin World ones match the PCGS slab. No particular surprise there I guess, from a European company.

J.A.K. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted