Coin without any number/figure?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ErolGarip, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'll just leave a 1 Follis coin of Emperor Maximian minted between 387-389 AD here to liven things up. :)

TTp8Pm2Fd7Nb3ZaDSyK59M5rBBb64f.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

Sallent, thanks for liven up. But, I don't see any "1 /I" or "one/uno" on that coin. Those Emperors must have been really lazy, or had no time to depict a simple number in figure or in word. This "1 Fallis" maybe good for you, but, I'd like to see "unit coins" of those old days such as 1cent coin which is probably hard to find. Were those "small" coins same in old days too, were they negligible then too?

(Ps: dear mathematican and "old" engineer friend, "money language" talk is getting hotter here, can be fruitful:
    https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/how-much-or-how-many-for-money.3356019/ )

4. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

Are you coin collectors ready? Sooner or later, many people may ask you collectors if you have "1cent" coin (or equivalents such as 1penny, 1kapik, 1kurus, 1agora, 1yen, etc , also, "1wheet-cent" too acceptable, also, ancient 1cents too acceptable.)

Last words are already said. Reading last line of last post of "garipx" is enough.
    https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/how-much-or-how-many-for-money.3356019/

5. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

Dear Mathematican and "old" Engineer, and also people here who sometimes rightly critisize "my" English language,
    Since the last post by "Garipx" in the thread in that lingustics forum (link is given above in previous post) was deleted by the MOD over there, you may be interested in what was said in the last line of last post (deleted).

After some "deeply" questioning "many money or much money" with "countability", un/countability of money which people try to explain by making analogy to, eg, "water" in a cup, etc., "rain droplets" was given as an example that shows water too can be countable and "self-similarity" in "rain droplets " and in "money" were talked, then, the last line of last post by "garipx" in that thread was:

--------------

".... So, what to do now? As a start, not to get confused more, to avoid further confusions about money and to clean self-contradictions also in our words when we speak/write/etc, first, we should

KEEP at least ONE "1cent" coin (or, any equivalents such as 1penny, 1agora, 1kapik, 1kurus, 1yen, etc) ALWAYS in POCKET... "

--------------

This is important for many reasons, and one of reasons is to clean contradictions in the languages you are using. For example,
    when you are asked if you have any "cent", you often answer it like that "No, I don't have a cent, but, I have 5 dollars."... See self-contradiction in the language you are speaking and this contradiction shows that you don't know what you are talking and you don't know there are "errors" in the language English... because you don't know what the money is... (such linguistic errors about "money" are not only in English, in all languages. However, you can forget/forgive any and all language errors when you see "money", right? Of course, a reality, "money language" is more important than "linguistic languages", and, you don't know how to speak money language and you are critisizing Erol's English, how fair you are...)

6. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

Just proved now "money is countable" and "much money" is wrong, "many money" is correct, here again, last post by "Garipx", https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/how-much-or-how-many-for-money.3356019/ (heart of proof is in last paragraph there)

If the Mod there deletes it also, let me repeat the proof here.

If we show a set by "{ }", money={dollar, cent} as they put "dollar" too in money set.
    But, we know that "1dollar=100cents", therefore, there is "countability relation" between "dollar" and "cent".
    So, if we write it in this form, money={100cent, cent}, you can see there is only one element in this set, and it is "cent". Also, with "100" in this set, you can see the countability of this set, which is about money. It is not necessary to write "100" in the set as this set is about "countability".

So, this set can be written as .... money={cent}... See this set "money" has only one element and it is "cent".
    So, we can also write it, without { }, as ... money=cent (which is countable)... In words, it is "money is cent"...

Conclusion: "much money" is WRONG... should (have) be(en) "many money"...
    ("moneys" or "monies" is another story, their jobs of linguists.)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  7. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

Where might "how much money" have come from? (instead of "how many money")... is told in the linguistics forum in the last post by "garipx" here https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/how-much-or-how-many-for-money.3356019/

Second paragraph is more about "coin" possibility, therefore, it is better to make another post here.

If we draw a graph, like someone did, quantities with different types of coins versus years/centuries, I guess this can be said comfortably: in a century like 700BC that is the date of Lydian lion coin, numbers and types of coin were only a few, perhaps only some hundreds piece from that only one type lion coin. So, a century ago or two before that Lydian lion coin, there was only and only one coin, perhaps in a small blacksmith kind workshop where it was made for ornament before more pieces were made and later used differently like a money before it turned into the money that we understand today. So, that first coin which is a unique coin which can not be talked about its countable due to its uniqeness was most likely not a "model/sample" for a prototype to be made in many pieces. That's, the first coin was not a designed coin sample to make many from it. That's, the first coin was not money, but, turned into money later when many same pieces were made by copying it. So, what do you think, can that first coin be found? If the ultimate goal of an ancient coin collector is to find a coin which is rarest and oldest, that first old coin must be searched. However, it should also be asked that to search that unique coin in all history is necessary or not.

8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

9. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

Here, now, the talk is about "the rarest" coin. It is not like any tree in a forest.

Ok, I am changing the question in my previous post. Instead of the oldest coin, a generalization. If the ultimate goal of a coin collector is to find a coin which is the rarest coin in all history, it is the first coin in the history. Whatever it was made for, lets say you found it. Can you coin collector keep it or sell it, give it or what do you do with it? I guess any real collector can not sell it for any amount of money due to enthusiasm in collecting. I don't think you can give it to somewhere else like museum either for people to see it for educational purpose either. Anyway, people won't learn anything also from it as they won't be interested in it unless they own it and again owning it here means some more money for them by selling it. If you keep it in your house, etc., it is another risk, some may want to steal it, a headache, too much effort to be spend to save it safely. So, what to do with it that we don't have yet? It seems that the best is not to search it.

10. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

By the way, "CoinCorgi", I hope you are not thinking that "Erol did not understand again what I said/meant with my this line
    You probably meant by your that line something like this "hey Erol, nobody is hearing you/your words, they are just ignoring you. Enough. Understand this", didn't you? Well, for some, my posts are probably tireful as my posts probably have many errors in "my" English and that was also directly said by "Kentucky" by saying "yours are incomprehensible posts in English". He was most likely right in his that comment. His seeing my errors immediately is not a foreign thing to me as people usually look at their errors of others. However, when doing so, they don't see their own errors. For example, one wonders if "Kentucky" has ever questioned "much money or more money". Probably, he had already questioned that a long time ago and probably arrived at a conclusion that "much money" is correct. I don't care whether he or anyone here ignores "ErolGarip" or not, but, this error "much money" instead of "many money" is ignorable? The thread by "garipx" on that lingustics forum about "much money or many money" is the rarest thread on the net which question "money's countability, and, much or many money" so deeply and it is with no any endless, there is a proof at the end that says "many money is correct, not much money". This result may also be interpreated as "there will be more attention to the coin" as the "coin" is a visible countable form of "money". Anyway, that rarerity of such a thread about money's countability may not be so interesting for many as they are "words" which can be considered as "bla bla" things when compared with "money", that is the target for many, perhaps, for all. So, the rarest coin could have attracted many more than the word things such as "many or much money". But, I know that I will have still been ignored even if I have the rarest coin of all time in my hand and show it in the public here. You probably know this. Why? As said anywhere in the world, once you are a gypsy, you are always a gypsy. Not that Erol is a gypsy, but, you probably understood what I meant by that. (btw, while that word "gypsy" is used, let me say a thing about it. All people in the World have become like-gypsy, read "lazyness" here by "gypsyhood".) Anyway, this thread is not about Erol himself, so, ignoring Erol is not a thing that makes Erol happy or unhappy. However, I guess that still some people here and there maybe reading at least some of these posts. For example, in last line of last post, what is said is "it seems that the best is not to search it (the rarest coin in all time)" might have got their attentions of some real collectors who are enthusiastics much about collecting coin. Why? It is not because Erol said it. It is because probably they have already thought some about it before, but, they might have probably (preferred to) forgot it. So, that line of Erol was probably just a reminder for them. Reminding what? Questioning "why", why collecting... why really... beside reason for making some more money from collecting that does not fit people actually anymore when they get older and older. So, there must be another reason for still collecting coin, especially for running after "the rarest coin". What is that reason? Can any "old" collector explain this? Here, by short "old", it is meant that "experienced in collecting and experienced in the life" as the word "old" itself includes this meaning, experience. Experience is ok, and knowledge too is a necessity, you know, but, what is the result? Why collecting really? Questioning deeply. Of course, many can answer such a question like "it is a personal taste, that's a hobby, it's a tool for me just to have some social relations more as this World is becoming more and more asocial, etc etc"... All these are personal reasonings understandable by many, particularly by "olds" like you, but, still, there must be another reason for collecting coin really. And, that reason maybe can be answered when answering the same question "what if you find the rarest coin in the world in all time, what would you do with it?" If you find an answer to this, then, maybe, you arrive at the same conclusion that it seems that the best is not to search...

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

A coin is like a tree in the forest in the same way a raven is like a writing desk...

CoinCorgi likes this.
  12. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

My message was delivered, yet, somehow, I predict 20 more pages of 1cent semantics.

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  13. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

"CoinCorgi", look here. Althought "my" English is probably still incomprehensible, see, "Kentucky" isn't saying that anymore. You know why? Because he probably started to see some incomprehensibility in his posts too, in his native language English that has error in "how much money".

It was delivered, yes, but, it will be thrown into the garbage, as it is viewed like a "spam."

What is a "spam"? My simple definition:
    Spam: Even though people are not interested in a "thing", if it is still sent, "it" is a spam...

What is a "coin"? "Definition of coin" of Merriam-Webster:
    Coin: "a usually flat piece of metal issued by governmental authority as money"...

Now, lets ask "coin", specially "1cent coin" is a spam or not?
    Not only people are not interested in it, but also "governmental authorities" are not interested in it, either. They are not taking it either, they don't have it in their pockets. Nobody has it. Even though reality is this, it still being sent. So, we can say comfortably "1cent is a spam", right?... So, who is insisting on sending 1cent coins even though people and governmental authorities themselves aren't taking it? I can not think anyone else other than someones such as an "old" engineer in a mint... So, since there is a spam, there is also a spammer and that "old" engineer is a spammer... The worse is, he is a sad spammer...

Anyway... He can keep crying... I'll keep having "fun" here...

Where were we at?... Ha, yes, the talk now was about "the rarest".
    Here is a picture, it is the rarest picture anywhere in the World.
    There are millions of forums, there is only one "CoinTalk".
    There are tousands of threads, there is only one "Coin with/out numerals" thread.
    There are hundreds of posts, there is only this post with "this picture".

This picture is the rarest in its category.
    There are semantics/words/texts, numbers, hand fingers, etc, even a poor snowdrop flower image in that picture.

"Erol, no, that picture is not the rarest!"...?
    Maybe, but, there is still uniqueness here.
    "Erol, how unique is it!"... ?
    It is SO unique that, as seen in this picture, the "rarest coin" in the WHOLE World in ALL time is in the hand, and, that rarest coin also makes this picture the rarest picture... (What is really meant here? For those ancient coin collectors also, a hint: With this rarest coin in the hand, that known oldest Lydian lion money is also in the hand. No need to search it now. Really. The ultimate goal of collecting coin money is reached. The rarest coin, unique coin, in whole world and in all time, is in the hand...) Debt paid...

(now, "old" engineer, you can smile.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  14. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Someone said it best a week or so back on another thread! I think Rod Sterling is here. It is like the Twilight Zone!

15. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

Whoever that "Rod Sterling" is must have a lot of (much?/many?) sterlings, but, doesn't have a penny... (the "old" can get angry...)

16. Kentucky

I found a video of Erol...

eddiespin, SchwaVB57 and CoinCorgi like this.
  17. Kentucky

18. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

That bird is "Erol"? Lol.

Erol is already IN (CT).
    The "envelope" already IN Erol's hand is not closed, an open letter... (see The Rarest.jpg)
    See THE unique IN Windows.

(In the past, I too had been viewing people with little money as poor people. Then, I realized that poorness in money is somethings else... If you don't have one cent, even if you have million dollars, you are still poor...)

19. Kentucky

Harry Potter...Erol is the Weasley family owl.

20. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

That owl has a cent? Animals don't have a cent.

21. Kentucky

Did you ever try and smell an animal...of course they have a scent...
    stock.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted