Coin Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Sep 17, 2017.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have been going through coin withdrawal since I sent my collection to the safe deposit box. Today, I got up early, for a Saturday, and made a few bids in an on line auction. I am pretty happy with the results. Because I am posting early, these are the seller's pics. In reverse order of what I wanted most.
    #3 was an unsold lot advertised as AT to TA
    PAE Cr 176.1 tintin 9.16.17 obv.jpg PAE Cr 176.1 tintin 9.16.17 rev.jpg

Roman Republican As, PAE, 169 – 158 BC
    Obv – Janus head, above mark of value I
    Rev – prow right, in ex [RO]M[A], before I, above PAE in monogram, Crawford suggests the moneyer is Paetus
    25.0 grams, 30 mm
    The seller gives the coin a grade of qBB (aVF). I think this is generous unless the photo lacks some details you can see in hand. The flan is a bit small for the reverse design. Only the M in ROMA is visible. I cannot tell if the left facing head on the obverse has corrosion or a counter mark.
    Cr 176/1, the seller called this one Cr 192/1.

#2 was a lead weight, looks a bit like the weights my Dad taught me to hang on trot lines when fishing for catfish.
    loom weight Pb tintin e65 9.16.17.jpg
    Pb weight
    The seller called this one, to be catalogued. I think it looks like the weights hung on the ends of yarn on a loom, but it could have been used for a lot of things.
    base 35mm X Height 52mm; Weight over 250 grams
    I was the only bidder on this piece.

loom with weights wwloom_2006.jpg

#1, if you guessed cast bronze, you are right. This piece will fit in well with other rocks in my collection.
    aes rude with symbol tintin e65 9.16.17.jpg
    Roman Republic AES Signatum fragment with symbol, +
    Third century BC
    48.6 grams = one Sextans
    RR
    This piece is much more irregular than the two other aes rude pieces I have. I think this might be a transition from aes rude that required scales to something like a coin.
    This piece had 25 bids. I am glad the under bidder said "Uncle".

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Interesting acquisitions! I have nothing even close to what your purchased but I can totally relate to coin withdraws!

ColonialCoin4 likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

:rolleyes: Yep!!! I can certainly relate to coin withdrawal....and agree that's a very cool, unusual and interesting 'lot' of purchases:)

ColonialCoin4 likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Cool stuff - I was in coin withdrawal for 20 years since I sold my first collection. Finally started collecting again in 2014.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I recently had Withdrawal Symptoms also... I used these as medicine:

upload_2017-9-17_11-14-51.png
    RR AR Denarius 149 BCE Pinarius Natta Roma X - Victory Biga whip NATTA ROMA Cr 208-1 Syd 390

upload_2017-9-17_11-15-31.png
    RR AR Quinarius 16mm 1.77g P Sabinus Rome 99 BCE Jupiter r E 3 pellets - P SABINE Q in ex Victory trophy E 3 pellets Cr 331-1

RR Cipius 115-114 BCE Roma X Biga rudder S 166 AUTH Cr 289-1 - JA.JPG
    RR Cipius 115-114 BCE Roma X Biga rudder S 166 AUTH Cr 289-1 -
    Ex: Recent @John Anthony Coin Show

upload_2017-9-17_11-17-10.png
    RR Gaius Cassius Longinus & P Corn Lentulus Spinther AR den 42 BCE military mint Brutus Cassius Smyrna Libertas r- jug & lituus 18mm 3.3g

8. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Someone once made the observation that a collection is very much like a shark. It either moves forward or it dies. I have found that observation to be true.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Got this one from @John Anthony 's Coin Show ALSO! 1st and Last purchases, I believe:

First?:
    upload_2017-9-17_15-25-40.png
    RR L Cornelius Scipio Asiaticus Asiagenus AR Serrate Denarius 4.0g 19mm Rome 106 BCE Hd Jupiter l - Jupiter quad r scepter tbolt L•SCIP•ASIAG B Cr 311-1e Syd 576

Last?:
    upload_2017-9-17_15-26-50.png
    RR Cipius 115-114 BCE Roma X Biga rudder S 166 AUTH Cr 289-1 -
    Ex: Recent @@John Anthony Coin Show

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well I bought a few other coins at that show and sold them as well. That particular denarius comes from Kerry Wetterstrom, which is a nice provenance as he was the creator and editor of the Celator. It's interesting to see what people bring you at shows. I bought four very nice coins, including your denarius, and passed on a box of what another forum member called "Flintstone Coins." I'll let you imagine what those looked like, lol.

rrdenarius, paschka and Alegandron like this.
  11. rrdenarius

Well done, nice coins and great provenence.

Alegandron likes this.
  12. rrdenarius

I picked up some pieces from Nederland (and stamps from there also): two medieval spindle whorls for my knitting wife and three 17th - 18th century knucklebones (fivestones, astragaloi or jacks) for me. My wife she assures me she has no interest in going further upstream in the clothing process: spinning; shearing, washing & carding wool; raising sheep / goats; etc. She has friends that spin and gather pet fur.
    DSCN1103.JPG

The knuckle bones are smaller than the ancient bone ones I have. I have one ancient bronze knucklebone only a bit larger.
    • 10.7 grams, 18.7 x 12.0 x 10.7 mm
    • 7.1 grams, 19.2 x 10.1 x 8.5 mm
    • 5.1 grams, 15.2 x 9.0 x 6.7 mm
    Roman_statue_of_girl_playing_astragaloi wiki.jpg
    Roman statue of girl playing astragaloi, wikipedia

A link showing a game of fivestones

13. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Your Roman Republic AES Signatum fragment with + symbol is a choice piece!! It is a difficult one to acquire. When I bought mine, I also had a lot of bidding competition. In ICC, Vecchi refers to this as a counterstamped aes rude, so I think you are correct to call this a transition piece.
    aes signatum X.png
    Anonymous, Central Italy
    4th-3rd century B.C.
    Æ Aes Signatum (54x30x20 mm) - 167gm
    Rectangular cast bronze; cross and crescent counterstamp
    Reference: Vecchi ICC 2.1

Draft saved Draft deleted