coin with dime on one side and penny on the other

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by gold_digger2011, Sep 28, 2012.

1. gold_digger2011

gold_digger2011 New Member

Hey all! It's been a while since I posted on here but I have a facebook friend who has held on to a coin for many years because she found it in some change as a cashier at Walmart. Anyway, here are a few pictures of the coin. She is curious if it's the real deal! Please add your input! 39293_476170199083322_1353495336_n.jpg
    561080_476170459083296_95010553_n.jpg 385705_476170655749943_1407359212_n.jpg
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Magicians coin or just some person experimenting. It's worth maybe 11 cents, since it's both a dime and penny. ;)

4. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Somebody went through a lot of labor to make a fantasy coin like that. It is not a mint error. Probably a pair of coins ground down and glued together.

John Johnson likes this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

These penny on a dimes are becoming much more common these days.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. gold_digger2011

Okay, thanks for all of your replies thus far! Can any of you explain why this is not a mint error? Like why it could not happen at the mint? I would like to explain it to her so she dont think im just another wise guy who says, "its counterfeit" without saying WHY it's counterfeit. No offense....

Thanks again!

7. ArtistikMiitia

ArtistikMiitia New Member

how are they the same size?

8. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

the cent is smaller

9. gold_digger2011

Lol, that's what I was wondering.....

10. thecoin

thecoin New Member

Did she find it as a dime or penny?

11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It could not happen at the mint because cents and dimes are made of two completely different planchets as evident by the fact that the coin in question has copper on one side and nickel on the other. Your coin was made by machining half of the thickness off of each coin then gluing the two halves together.

12. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

DON'T say the words "11 cents" in this forum, don't you know what might happen?! :rollling:

Stevearino and beef1020 like this.
  13. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Real smooth, now it will be in google searches.

14. I'm surprised it lasted this long without a hi-jack.

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Maybe he's in jail?

16. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

You can tell it is not a mint error because it is copper on one side and clad on the other. A true (10+1) cent error coin would either be completely copper or completely clad on both sides.

Kentucky likes this.
  17. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

What if it was a double error and was missing it's copper layer on the side that was struck as a dime? Just playing devil's advocate over here lol

18. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

That would be one valuable coin :)

I'm not sure that it would be possible though. When coins are struck at the mint, isn't the obverse struck at the same time as the reverse? If so, it would be nearly impossible to have a only a dime on one side and only a penny on the other.

19. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

It's rare but its happened. They're called mules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_(coin)

tmeyer likes this.
  20. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The collars used to strike dimes and cents are different diameters. It is highly unlikely a cent die would be muled with a dime die and dime collar, especially with no other known examples. The odds would be incredibly small that that mule arrangement (cent die, dime die and dime collar) would then strike a coin on an error planchet with a cupro-nickel clad layer over a pure copper core on one side and bronze on the other side. The odds would be even less (50% less to be exact) that that mule arrangement (cent die, dime die and dime collar) would then strike a coin on an error planchet with a cupro-nickel clad layer over a pure copper core on one side and bronze on the other side with the cupro-nickel and bronze sides oriented properly.

21. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Waaaaaiiiit for it..... :devil:

Draft saved Draft deleted