Coin Weight , info would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dillan, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

The coin weight is approx. 29 grams . The weight has Three Pound Twelve on both sides . The weight is 29mm across , and seems to be made of Brass. All replies are appreciated . thank You Dillan

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

What sort of replies are you looking for?

Do you have a question of some sort? Are you looking for opinions about something?

You seem to have described the piece, so I'm not sure what you are asking.

4. Dillan

I would like to know more about when and where these were made , I know they were use for weighing gold coins from the little info I could find. A year of the weight would also be appreciated .Are these weights fairly common? Thank You

5. physics-fan3.14

Show us a picture of the other side.

Oops, nevermind, I see now you say it says that on both sides.

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It looks like it is slightly domed on one side - is it?
    I don't think it is a weight, but it may be. Would have been used when people were more illiterate, and only silver coin was being issued in Sterling fineness.

7. physics-fan3.14

The google says your weight was probably made to weigh Portuguese coins, and probably made in the early 1700's (between 1706 and 1750). There is no way to tell exactly what year yours was made. There is another variety with an obverse portrait that says 1747, so they were probably made sometime around then.

It appears that these are fairly common (I'm guessing most banks and merchant houses would have had a set). They were used to verify that the coins were of proper weight (when a coin's value was based on the weight of precious metal it contained).

It appears the value is somewhere in the $75 range.

Here are some links to read more:

https://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins.pl?coin=15790
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/pa...d_coin_1747signed_by_kirk/383097/Default.aspx
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1747-three-pound-twelve.60893/
    https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital BNJ/pdfs/1909_BNJ_6_14.pdf

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Is the weight actually tapered? And are those photos of both sides?
    Something looks different than what physics posted too.

9. Dillan

Thanks everyone for your information and links. the weight look tapered a little although the measurements are pretty equal for each side. It looks like maybe someone, or more then one, may have thought that this weight was made of gold. It gives a gold like appearance and I would guess that it has been tested many times for gold by rubbing the edge on the plate to do the test. By rubbing it has sort of give it a tapered look . Someone thought they hit the jackpot . I paid 15 dollars Canadian so I am happy to add it to my collection of various coin related items. thank all of you , the members here are great , and I enjoy being part of this forum. Dillan

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. Dillan

Thanks to the link I found the exact weight it is called a Double Joe where they use the Three Pound Twelve on both sides. The other weights which are many usually put a bust of a Queen or King etc. on their coins with the writing on the reverse. This is fairly equal on both sides my photo with the shading sort of make it look more dome ,oval shape which it is not . Like I mentioned /I can tell someone has done a few gold tests on the weight by removing a slight amount for the tests. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted