Coin videos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Guess who helped me figure out how to steady a coin video of my Vespasian coin? None other than Vespasian himself! I got this statuette in the mail today by surprise, from my daughter...

DSC04110.JPG

...using the same 1/2" black foam piece to set the coin on, and with my camera on a tripod pointing down at the table, I rested the foam piece on top of Vespasian's head to use him as a sort of pivot point and eliminate having to hold the foam in my shaky hands. I set it on his head, started recording, held the foam lightly against Vespasian's head, and just slowly pivoted the foam piece in a circular motion.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I also tried the fingerless video and decided that the fingers are better due to the control of angle. Perhaps a comera with great image stabilization would help but the one I would select is $2500 and, for that, I'll stick to stills.

I did buy a video/webcam camera that allows Zoom meetings showing coins in motion which is a step up than the ones showing my face. It will take some practice before the kinks get worked out of that one, too. Perhaps my best idea for videos is a series of stills showing the coin from different angles. That may be the next trial.

DonnaML likes this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone all are very educational reviews great posts.

5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Your hands look fine, and quite a bit better than mine. I have nothing against manicures (not counting the present situation), except that I always manage to ruin them within about half an hour. Because I'm a klutz. So I won't ever be trying to make any coin videos!

Draft saved Draft deleted