Coin traditions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by beaver96, Jan 21, 2021.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

During the oil embargo, the only used cars I could afford were large "Land Barges" no one wanted. In the '70s and '80s, I had a 1972 Chrysler Newport (440/4bbl carb), 1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass, 1973 Chevy Caprice, and 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham (my Dad's old company car)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are just internet images...not my actual cars. These look much nicer than the cars I had. They got between 9-12 MPG...and they all leaked oil. You just can't find rear seat leg room like that anymore! I really miss the Newport. It had amazing performance for such a large car and I still love the styling.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    john65999, Jim Dale and masterswimmer like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Okay, what was the problem with the trees?

Jim Dale likes this.
  4. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

My mother for some reason would sometimes wrap coins in small pieces of wax paper and place them in cake batter. When the birthday cake was done and slices were passed out, if there was a coin in your slice you could keep it.. Or you could give it to the birthday person.

serafino, Stevearino and beaver96 like this.
  5. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Hey! I had one of the first VCRs sold. An RCA 2/4 hour recorder with a timer that only recorded one show within a 24-hour window. I used that for the longest time before upgrading to a better one. I would buy a case of ten tapes for $100. Now you can find prerecorded tapes in pawn shops and thrift stores.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Nothing was wrong with North Carolina trees. I was just so used to see them, they became something I always expected. But California didn't have any trees and I loved ours in NC

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

My first one came from a friend who bought it in Oregon (no sales tax) and decided not to keep it. As far as I can remember it had "piano key" type controls and the top popped up to load the tape. Last VHS tapes I got were two BOXES full of used tapes from someone's porch (Craigslist)

8. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

My first car was a 1955 Ford. My second was a Rambler American. My next car was a 1970 Mercury Monterey with a 390 engine. When I was in college I worked for a 7/11 type store. I got off at 11PM and would drive home. There was a long, about 2 mile stretch on the way home and I hit the gas. A little way home, there was a dip in the road and me and my Monterey went flying in the are. Luckily, it came down on all four tires. I took my foot off the gas, so that when I came down, the car was slowing down. I was so scared, I never did that again. The car wasn't hurt.

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I recall that was payment to the ferryman to carry them across the river styx.

10. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

all you need now is some jukebox money...

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  11. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

i have also heard the tradition of someone carrying a coin in the wallet/pocket cook. my grandfather would carry a folded $2 bill in his wallet. my grandmother carried a silver dollar. i never carried on those traditions but after reading this thread im thinking maybe i should

beaver96 likes this.
  12. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

My father carried a $2 bill in his wallet and I carry that same $2 in mine now. I also have given $2's to all of my kids and grandkids. I told them that as long as they had that bill they would never be broke.

mike estes likes this.
  13. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

It's stunning, but it's very stunning if you happen to walk across it and/or take a boat under it. That's when you really see it for what it is.

14. VistaCruiser69

Well......you could always make another one....:)

Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  15. VistaCruiser69

Exactly why I said that. :) First time I heard that song I was like, "hey, that's the same car I learned to drive in".

16. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

when i empty my cent jug, or silver (clad) bank to go to bank to exchange for paper (to then go to another branch and get more rolls, of course!) i always put one coin back in each (for luck)

17. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

My family is from Sicily and I'm familiar with the Sicilian superstition of never giving a knife as a gift. As you said the recipient needs to give you a small coin for it.

Parthicus likes this.
  18. john65999

some nice iron there, i have owned about 45 cars and 15 motorcycles/off road 3 wheelers and motorcycles, i used to be partners in a repair shop in new hampshire for atv's and i always bought and sold and parted out cars to make $$ when older, i have owned many heavy metal machines in my time, lol

19. john65999

saw in a movie involving a killer bear and a murder plot, cannot remember the nake of it

20. john65999

21. john65999

drove a truck through nyc to new jersey was something like 17.50 each way

Draft saved Draft deleted