Coin traditions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by beaver96, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

"at
    "The One to Watch," if I remember correctly!

MIGuy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

John Burgess likes this.
  4. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Love the Elizabeth sixpence, @scottishmoney. Really a nice coin. You certainly went the extra mile for the sixpence.
    P.S. I hope it brought continuing luck to the marriage.

5. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Yeah, fortunately it's two different guys!

6. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

The first time I remember going over the Golden Gate Bridge when I was around 5 or 6 years old, the toll was $1.00. It's now up to $8. Needless to say, I don't drive over that bridge much. Last time was in 2008.

john65999 and John Burgess like this.
  7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

My first car was a 1977 Dodge Royal Monaco Brougham. This picture isn't the one I had but this one is exactly the same as it was. Mine had red cloth interior, no idea what this one has. I miss that car, it was almost an apartment.

upload_2021-1-22_11-41-57.png

john65999, yakpoo and VistaCruiser69 like this.
  8. VistaCruiser69

I bought my first car in 1987 when I was back home from Japan on leave. I used to love coming home on leave just so I could drive it again. I kept it at my parents house until I got out of the Navy in 1991. I still have it today.

Mkm5 likes this.
  9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It was a coin I had purchased long before I even knew my future wife - it was for my collection - just happened to be a nice piece to give her when I met her years later. We are in our 25th year this year!:D

10. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Had the same one, except army green.

We called it the tank!

I bought a large cedar chest one time, didn't know how I was going to move it.

Opened up the rear driver's side door and just slid that sucker right in there!

John Burgess likes this.
  11. John Burgess

I did the same thing with my 72 gallon bowfront fish tank, still have that fish tank, I put the tank in the backseat and the stand in the trunk everything closed. LOL.

I totaled the car, folded the front end under it, but I loved the way that thing rode, it just floated on down the bumpy roads at 65 like a boat on the ocean. it was a 318 cu.in. 5.2 L V8 , i think they also came in a 360 cu.in.5.9 L V8 and a 400 cu.in. 6.6 L V8 and an over the top 440 cu.in. 7.2L V8 option.
    (I'm a dodge/jeep fan)

The car wasn't winning no races, took forever to get it up past 90 even, the car weighed like 4000 pounds. hahahaha. it was a monster but a pleasure to drive. I couldn't afford the gas for it nowadays though.

Still I'd love to see what that 440 7.2L engine would have been like in it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Mkm5 likes this.
  12. VistaCruiser69

Well it was a boat, and it also seats about 20.

john65999 and John Burgess like this.
  13. John Burgess

like 6 comfortably 8 was a bit crowded.:joyful:

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  14. charley

charley Well-Known Member

1964 chevy2 super sport coupe

15. VistaCruiser69

I learned to drive at 14 years old in something quite similar. A 1965 Chrysler New Yorker (4 door version). To this day I still remember how it felt the first time out on the highway behind the wheel in that rig. Felt like I was piloting a ocean going vessel. I swear, that rig was so big, the weather even looked different in the very front compared to the very back of the car.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    John Skelton and John Burgess like this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Har-har-de-har-har

17. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I live in North Carolina and my parents use to live south of San Francisco. My father took me over the Golden Gate Bridge. I was shocked that you had to pay to go over a bridge that taxpayers had already paid for and continue to pay to maintain in the extremely high taxes. I had a job offer in 1979 with USC in LA. They were going to pay me almost double what I was being paid in NC. I was excited and accepted their offer. I flew back into Raleigh-Durham airport and when I saw those trees, I hated to call them, but I did, and they offered up the ante, but I still couldn't take the job. My wife told me that she would leave me if I took that job. Well, she left me anyway about 10 years later to marry her high school sweetheart.
    Whoops! I'm sorry for digressing.
    Anyway, I thought the Golden Gate Bridge was stunning. All we have here is a boat that takes us to the Outer Banks.

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  18. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

There was a thread here a few weeks ago about Vasilopita (St. Basil's cake) that Greeks and other Balkan peoples bake at New Year's, with a coin baked into it. Whoever gets the piece with the coin is supposed to have good luck the rest of the year. Here's the Wikipedia article about it. Vasilopita - Wikipedia

19. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

My sister had one of those, and I had a 1985 Encore. Both were junk. My Encore's engine was made by Briggs & Stratton...I kid you not!

20. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

$8 in the southbound direction only. Don't make me laugh :)

George Washington Bridge is $16 paid on the eastbound crossing only. Double the GGB toll. UGH!!!!!!

john65999 likes this.
  21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@VistaCruiser69, wish I'd known that as a 5 or 6-year old. I was tossing a nickel in the air and catching it in my mouth. Yep, right down the hold. The x-ray clearly showed it in my stomach, but the doc said just check the stool until it comes out.

Would you believe my mother washed it when it showed up, and they kept it. [Growing up in the Great Depression meant one NEVER wasted anything]. Digestive acids turned the nickel beautiful colors.

Would that be considered AT or natural toning? :wideyed:

I wish I still had it. It disappeared over the years.

Steve

VistaCruiser69 and Jim Dale like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted