Coin traditions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by beaver96, Jan 21, 2021.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I am so much of a throwback, I still use a VCR (VideoCassette Recorder) to record television. Recently I had recorded a stupid horror movie that got partially recorded over so that I don't know the name...in the movie, the heroes need to escape from the "underworld" with Charon, but need an obol to pay their way. They find a corpse with a coin in its mouth, but this thing was as big as a silver dollar!

beaver96 and yakpoo like this.
  4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Sounds interesting!

5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's a common tradition or not but for people I know and I've always done it myself, when someone buys a new car, you toss a handful of pocket change in there for good luck (in the seats, under them on the floor, wherever it lands), so they will always have toll money in there somewhere in an emergency. which is lucky to find in a pinch, LOL. don't know if it's common anymore, or if it's a regional thing or what. Just saying it's what always been done from what I know. My first car, literally everyone I know pitched a handful of pocket change in there. it was everywhere.

MIGuy and beaver96 like this.
  6. John Burgess

Ummmm, "Hercules in the Underworld" was the title maybe? A made for TV movie, Kevin Sorbo, Anthony Quinn? Just a guess really. description sounds about right though although you called it a horror movie.... stupid yeah, kind of cheesy with the special effects, and monsters, but it's not horror and more action and mythology with a touch of comedy.

Anywho, I'm just guessing!

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I gave this to my then girlfriend so she would become my fiance and she wore it in her shoe when we were married. It covered two areas of the rhyme, something old and a sixpence in her shoe. It is still her coin. IMG_1823.jpg IMG_1824.jpg

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5113926/

"They Found Hell" 2015 - 4.8 score

MIGuy and John Burgess like this.
  9. John Burgess

Holy Moly, I've never seen it, and it's a SyFy channel original! I love the SyFy channels "special" effects it's so bad, sometimes it's good! 4.8 score, I'm sure that's out of 10!
    hahahaha. I can't wait now.

MIGuy and Kentucky like this.
  10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

In my world, people are always giving coins to the nearest Corgi. Reason being, I want your coins. Now. C'mon...hand 'em over. It's tradition!

yakpoo, beaver96 and John Burgess like this.
  11. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

That's awesome!

Below are 6 pence silver necklaces for each of IMG_20210121_142026.jpg my 4 daughter's weddings for good luck tradition.

One down, three more to go!

12. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Cheapest bridge toll in my area is currently at $6. That would be a whole lot of digging around in the car for coins at the toll booth.

13. John Burgess

Yeah Inflation. My first car was in 1990. Florida Turnpike toll then was 50 cents. The same ride now on a sunpass chip thing on the window is $1.61 apparently which I never noticed until now how much it's gone up, which is actually not bad compared to the toll you pay.

Same starting point to Disney World on the Turnpike would cost $ 13.98, a 3 hour drive and 229 miles for comparison sake.

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Thank goodness I only have three, one getting married this weekend. She has a 100 year old sixpence.

JimsOkay and MIGuy like this.
  15. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! My 3rd daughter was married in September, and 1st daughter is getting married in March, the sixpence necklaces are all 1928.

scottishmoney and MIGuy like this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

After visiting Manzanar, the Japanese internment camp in California, and seeing lots of coins on the grave stones, I researched it and came up with the following:
    A coin left on a headstone or at the gravesite is meant as a message to the deceased soldier's family that someone else has visited the grave to pay respect. Leaving a penny at the grave means simply that you visited. A nickel indicates that you & the deceased trained at boot camp together, while a dime means you served with him in some capacity. By leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the solider when he was killed.

17. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

...and she's still your Queen. :)

18. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

My first car was a Renault Le Car that a Polish doctor who worked in my dad's lab sold us cheap when he went back to Poland. It was fun to drive a manual transmission but the football team guys would sometimes lift it up and put it in weird places at parties when I wasn't paying attention. 1980-renault-le-car-ad-at-last-model-year-1980.jpg

yakpoo, manny9655 and John Burgess like this.
  19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

VCR? What’s that? ;-)

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I've got one son in law named Noah, and another future son in law named Noah!

Got these coins for them. IMG_20210121_202645.jpg IMG_20210121_202628.jpg

Kentucky and MIGuy like this.
  21. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

I thought the tradition was to put a coin UNDER the mainmast before it was lowered into place.

CoinCorgi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted