Coin symbol identification help

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Coin Pedant, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Coin Pedant

Coin Pedant Member

I am looking into the coins found at the Sutton Hoo burial and found this peculiar one. It is a Merovingian copy of a coin with a byzantine (or visigoth?) monogram, but I have no clue what Emperor it is trying to imitate. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Many thanks!!
    [​IMG]
    (Sutton Hoo coin, image belongs to the British Museum)
    p.s. I know this doesn't technically come under 'ancient coins' but byzantine is still technically roman right??;)

Attached Files:

Marsyas Mike and Pellinore like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Looks Visigothic to me. (Though I am not knowledgeable in the area). Also, it is fine to post Byzantine coins in the Ancients forum.

randygeki likes this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

To me, the most useful parts of the monogram in identifying it are the cross above and the B below the slanted line. I checked this page - http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=monogram - but didn't see anything with these features.

As you said, it's a copy, so it's possible that the monogram is just a fantasy.

5. Coin Pedant

Coin Pedant Member

Perhaps you're right there. I had entertained this thought, but my logic was that dark-age copies have an original coin they copied from.

Draft saved Draft deleted