Coin spooning in Cool Hand Luke movie

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by KBBPLL, Feb 21, 2021.

1. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I was watching Cool Hand Luke for the umpteenth time recently and had never noticed a scene where the character Wickerman is spooning a coin. A closeup lasts 3 seconds starting at about 1:33:37, then two other short scenes of him spooning appear briefly in the next couple minutes. Trivial but I thought it was interesting. The coin being spooned is not US, it resembles a George VI portrait but it might be a prop coin. There's a period-correct 1946 (I think) quarter laying nearby.

Are there any other movies or TV shows depicting coin spooning? For those unfamiliar with it, it's a way to make a coin into a ring.

CoolHandLuke_spooning_coin_13337_crop2.jpg

dwhiz and Kurisu like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Is he going to spoon that silver quarter in the background?thats a waste

JPD3 likes this.
  4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, that coin appears to be a George VI cupronickel shilling issued between 1947 and 1951.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I give. What is coin spooning?

6. potty dollar 1878

Its just hitting a coin on its edge with a spoon why do people do this?IDK they have some type of problem or just for fun.

7. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Was filmed in '68, after silver quarters, but there were quite a few still floating around. The movie was supposed to take place in the 1950s, after the Korean War. If the character Wickerman (James Jeter) is spooning a coin in a work camp, quarter or otherwise, they would have lots of time on their hands. Paul Newman's character was supposed to be serving 2 yrs. Don't know how long Wickerman had to craft his ring.

8. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Coin, spoon, lots of time, make a ring.

JPD3 likes this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

10. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Thank you for the post.

I have not seen the film in many years but will have to watch it again.

:)

KBBPLL likes this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I was so completely guilty of doing this as a youngster. I didn’t have electronic gadgets to keep my young mind busy. Constant tapping of the edge upsets the rim. The rim grows and the coin shrinks in diameter after a couple hours of tapping, drill out the center and you have a ring.... Only way for a poor kid to afford a ring!

dwhiz and Kurisu like this.
  12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Absolutely one of my top ten all time favorite flicks..... Shakin’ the bushes boss!

dwhiz, Oldhoopster and CoinCorgi like this.
  13. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Here is my childhood quarter ring. Not quite a ring, I gave up obviously. 1953 S
    IMG_9664.jpeg IMG_9665.jpeg IMG_9666.jpeg

dwhiz likes this.
  14. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I was able to watch the film recently.

Here is a screen print of the coin:

[​IMG]
    Cool Hand Luke spooned coin

It does appear to be a quarter-sized silver coin of King George VI from either Great Britain or a British commonwealth such as Australia or Canada.

:)

15. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

16. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

@Evan Saltis Can I use your images in a book I wrote on Mint errors? If so, can you take a new head-on shot of the obverse, and another photo of the edges?

I would credit your name on the photo where they appear. I think it would make a great addition to the changes I am making explaining how spooned coins are made

17. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Of course. Will send a PM

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you want to go commercial with making rings from coins, This is the site.
    https://jasons.works/

Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted