coin shows in Iowa and Omaha

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Jun 18, 2021.

1. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that, any advice for a successful first show? I am thinking have a pocketful of cash, but how do you approach buying coins there? I mean that's what everyone is there for, right? I apologize, I almost exclusively have made my purchases, over the last couple decades, online. I've been on eBay since the turn of the century, lol.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I find that too many of the dealers have a clique of friends that hang around and talk. The last show I went to was a regular in Houston. Very large gathering of buyers/potential buyers. It was difficult for the buyers to get close to the tables because the dealers were too busy talking to their friends. I didn't see anyone buying. Now, I'm not rich but I have substantial disposable funds for discretionary spending. I would be considered one of those that might see something I can't live without. It turned me off and I left.

MIGuy likes this.
  4. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Inspector, I drove from Des Moines and the drive was lovely. Not a big show by any stretch but it was fun. fight time I was ever in Fort Dodge.

I totally agree there are good ole boys at various tables not placing enough emphasis on business to the public.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I was in Fort Dodge one time. I got there on a Trailways bus and left on a C47 or DC-3 to boot camp. Glad you had fun and were able to go home afterward.

Draft saved Draft deleted