Coin Show

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by thecoinlover, Sep 14, 2011.

1. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

[HR][/HR]I'm going to the coin show! Anything I should know? How are the coins? Thanks :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

Which show? Philly?

4. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

Yep, the one in philadelphia. I thought I'd take the chance to go to my first one! :D

5. zach24

No I'm certainly not going (18 hour drive) but I hope you enjoy it!! I have yet to go to my first show, perhaps I can catch the Pensacola show in october..... But I digress, what is on your "list"?

6. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

Indian Head Cents, Liberty Nickels, Wheat Lot.

Edit: I hope I'm not breaking the rules. I'm not asking for anyone to sell and/or trade these coins.

7. zach24

Good luck with your endeavor!! Be sure to post your purchases!!

One thing that has been on my list for quite some time (about a year) is a BU toned Indian Head, NOT entombed in plastic. I came close to purchasing one on ebay, but it had a small, yet distracting carbon spot on the bust....

Are you looking for any specific grades?

8. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

What show are you attending? If this is your FIRST show one thing I can tell you is your are going to be overwellmed especially if your going the the Philly show. I know I was just blown away at my first Philly show last year. So much so I didn't really buy much of anything, just some supplies. These are my some of personal show rules,

1) Make a shopping list

2) Bring your loop

3) Stay foucused

4) TRY to stay within your budget

5) Bring a note pad of some kind

6) Be patient with dealers and other shoppers

7) Most important thing of all, HAVE FUN!

These are pretty much my basic guidelines. I do have others but these are my "GOLDEN" rules. Best of luck to you!, you know we are expecting a full report after you get home, with photos if you can!

Mark in NJ

9. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I heard it is a good show to go to but it is getting a little late...

The advantage with a show of this size is that if you have precious metals or coins to sell you will likely get top, top dollar there.

The grading services are there, but you will have only one shot to get the coins graded as show set-up starts tomorrow and the TPGSs have a cut off on submissions for getting the coins back.

There will be some pretty varied coins and notes on the bourse floor. And as coin dealer newsletter and other numismatic publications have been telling us for a while now, coins are white hot with popularity, especially key dates and the premium quality CAC "coveted" stickers.

Bring lots and lots of green cash!

Try not to look wealthy and thus a possible target for pick pockets and other thieves. Wear some old clothes and shoes to discourage would-be muggers. A little self-defense doesn't hurt either.

10. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

Zach: Thank you! I don't have a camera so I'll see what I can do. Since I'm beginning I would do G-4 - VG-6.

merlin: Thanks for those tips/rules. Give me more! :yes:

Owle: Thanks.

11. zach24

I think you should be able to get the IHCs and Lberty Nickels for no premium up to about VF. Once more, Good luck.

12. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

Thanks, again! These "Lberty Nickels" seem rare, are you sure they are no premium up to VF? :hammer:

13. zach24

Maybe I'm wrong..... Hmm, all the ones I can remember purchasing in VF were only.... $3-5..... So not much of a premium I guess. Sorry.

14. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

No, I'm not asking if my VF Liberty Nickels like I was a newbie, I was making a joke on how you spelled "Lberty" with no i! Now I seem like I just began collecting! And I need to work on my jokes :eek:

15. zach24

Oh, hehe!! Totally slipped past me!! And trust me, I am not underestimating you.

I need to work on my eyes! lol

16. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

take cash ... nobody will accept credit cards

17. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Checks are OK if someone can vouch for your solvency.

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

You'll be in awl when you see all the neet coins and dealers as far a you can see. Wear comfortable shoes and go to the Reading Market to eat.
    Cash is King. I'll be there friday.
    You can go to the whitman site to pre-registar

19. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

20. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

All good suggestions from those at CT who have been to these big shows coinlover. Mark did forget to mention one other golden rule...when you see all the goodies, don't run up and down the aisles screaming like a little girl. :eek: Kinda' embarrasing you know. Have a good time and good luck to you.

Bruce

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Take cash, and try not not to be overwhelmed. Seriously, a major show will have you looking like a cop in a donut factory. Take a breath, take your time, and try to be organized. If you are looking for circulated coins, go up to a dealer and tell him what you are looking for so he can help you out. Buy what you are looking for, but look at everything. A large coin show is amazing, and you can look at coins you might not have even seen in books yet.

Best advice I have. Read one of Charmy's show reports before you go to get a feel of a show and how it feels from the other side of the table.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted