Coin Show Pickups 2/2 (1882 $5 "Brownback" The People's National Bank of Shelbyville, TN)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Bradley Trotter, May 21, 2021.

1. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I have the feeling that some of you may question my sanity in purchasing this particular note, but I ended up acquiring this note for a small fraction of what the seller initially wanted. Regardless, as some of you may know already, I enjoy collecting banknotes from my local area. Shelbyville, Tennessee, is about 30 minutes away from me and is about halfway between the Jack Daniels Distillery and where I live currently. Overall, there are only 5 brown back notes in the census for this bank, with this being the 6th.

1882 $5 National Bank Note.jpg 1882 $5 National Bank Note Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I'm glad your satisfied,to me its just to torn up but what do you expect.It certainly wasn't supposed to last 100+ years.

midas1 and Bradley Trotter like this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

At least Shelbyville is in a "wet" county, but not on Sunday. As for collecting hometown nationals, sometimes the only known example is a well used piece that probably crossed many a bar top.

midas1 and Bradley Trotter like this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Buy what you like.

6. Bradley Trotter

That's pretty much my entire collecting philosophy summed up in four words.

7. William F

William F Well-Known Member

I like it, sometimes I would rather buy something in poor condition than never buy it because It's too expensive in good condition :)

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Wonderful addition, congratulations.

She ain’t all that pretty, but she likes to fish and she drinks beer !

9. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to question your sanity at all. You keep on collecting what you like! While that note is in really rough shape, it's a neat little piece of history.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  10. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

@Bradley Trotter My wife's family came from that area, too. They're mostly from Tullahoma, and some from Winchester. My in-laws grew up and went to school with Dinah Shore.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great piece of history.

12. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

13. Bradley Trotter

Update:

Here are the results from PMG.

3D241A11-7ABB-442C-AF63-6DE516647672.png
    54D03BD6-A243-4981-969A-AFD8FE2BD831.png

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  14. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks for the post. What are the denominations of the other 5-6 known brownbacks from Shelbyville, TN?

15. Bradley Trotter

Unfortunately, I don't have access to any further census information; I'm sure someone else would be able to provide an answer to your line of questioning. The figure cited is just for the $5 "Brownbacks," according to the dealer I bought this note from.

16. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

My home town bank is White Plains, NY I had 2 large size fives plain back sold them many years ago. I was happy to get them.

17. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Any 1882 Brown Back is an extremely cool item. I often dabble in these "roached rarities" myself. The 1796 S-99 cent I have posted recently is a good example - the price was certainly right as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted