Coin Show Newps

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Whizb4ng, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

The monthly coin showed rolled through town again and I decided to take a bit of a harder look at my favourite dealers later Roman bronzes since he hadn't cataloged any of his new coins yet. It a lot busier today than I have seen it so far but I did go later in the day than I usually do.

Here is what I managed to pull out. I had been looking for both of these emperors with decent portraits for a little bit.

I really liked this Gallienus since it has a really nice portrait and easily readable full name on the obverse. Plus I always enjoy the III in lieu of an N

Gallienus
    Obv. GALLIENVS AVG radiate head right
    Rev. ABVNDANTIA AVG Abundantia facing right holding and pouring cornucopiae, B in left field
    RIC 157

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The second is Licinius I
    Cyzicus mint
    Obv. IMP LICINIVS AVG laureate draped bust left holding mappa, orb & sceptre
    Rev. IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG Jupiter standing left with Victory on a globe & sceptre, wreath left, B right SMK in exergue
    RIC VII 9, Cyzicus[​IMG] [​IMG]

If I had any confidence in my cleaning abilities I could most likely clean up the Licinius more. There is some strong patina showing through what appears to be a thin layer of dirt.

All in all I am pleased with both purchases (and the price!) and hopefully next show I will get to pick through his new stuff. If not he has a Maximian that I really wouldn't mind adding to my collection

zumbly, chrsmat71, stevex6 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Great pick up Whiz, i did a local show this weekend not one dealer had Ancient but me..

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I really like the Gallienus.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

atta-boy => a couple of sweet scores, my Manitoban friend!!

6. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

So I was just looking at the pictures of these coins again. I think the Licinius is actually Constantine now that I take a closer look at it. There are too many letters for Licinius. I am pretty sure it is IMP CONSTA-NTINVS AVG

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice gallienus bust!

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Only reading this post now for some reason. Cool Gallienus... Love these struck-on-chocolate coins, they just look yummy.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I missed this thread too. Nice additions!

Draft saved Draft deleted