Coin show monthly

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by John Skelton, Dec 5, 2021.

1. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I went to my local coin show today which happens on the first Sunday of the month, and it was crowded! I didn't even have a chance to sit down and go through a junk box. I guess some people were doing their Christmas shopping.,

But I was not there to buy, but instead do market research. I wanted to get an idea of the prices I could expect to pay at auction, and what my own coins might sell for. And one thing struck me as odd. It seemed as if all the coins I saw of the type I own have way more luster than mine. So much so that I was beginning to wonder if they had been cleaned. I didn't have my magnifier with me to check, and maybe I just have lousy coins, but it did make me wonder.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Very interesting John. I will have to follow this and see what reactions you get.

4. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Could the lighting factor into your perceptions about luster? At home I don't have the same lighting as there is at coin shows with coins under brighter lights.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Yes, show lighting may just be making them look that way. Next time, take a couple of your coins with you (and your loop) and compare them.

Randy Abercrombie and wxcoin like this.
  6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

That's A good idea. I suppose I should have asked to see the coins in hand while I was there. But since everyone was so busy I thought it best not to. Practicing a bit of coin show etiquette you know.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I should also note that the coins I was looking at were in 2x2s. I did spot a slab that was labeled as cleaned.

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, the fellows above are spot on I believe. I have seen tables set up with LED lamps over their table that made all the coins on that table appear spectacular.

wxcoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted