Coin show disapointment and frustration

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by russell1256, Jun 10, 2023.

1. russell1256

russell1256 Well-Known Member

I attend a lot of coin shows, most of them are good, some not so good. If I attend a show with 30 tables and it calls itself a coin & stamp show, or coin & card show, I know what to expect. I am retired, so traveling to show is not a problem. My wife and I plan some of our trips around coin shows. The lousy ones we just won't go back to, but I have never complained about one until now. We just came back from the Colts Neck Coin Show in New Jersey. That is what they called it a "Coin Show", with "About 50 dealer tables". I am frustrated because we traveled an hour and a half each way and payed over $20.00 in tolls. There may have been "about" 50 tables with most of them full, BUT about three quarters of the show was sportcards, maybe 10 tables of coins. I talked to one of the dealers and he said a few years ago this turned into a baseball card show. I don't want to be that "get off my lawn guy", but unless you are local, don't bother with this show.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

That’s a major problem with local and
    regional coin shows and don’t forget
    about gun shows this applies here as
    well, for example we have a show about
    every few months at the sports center
    I have been going to for years when it
    started was 100 percent all guns ammo
    and accessories now that has been cut
    in half, now there even selling dolls, dishes and makeup !! seriously at a gun
    show, I guess I could always take the
    doll out and shoot at that…LOL

I think they try to attract a larger audience by adding more stuff or
    they don’t have enough sellers
    to begin with…

Mr.Q likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Not that all would necessarily pay attention to the order, but instead of being named a coin and card show, this one should rename itself as a card and coin show.

Mr.Q likes this.
  5. mpcusa

Do people that collect coins, collect baseball cards to ? I collected baseball
    cards when I was about 10…LOL

Vertigo likes this.
  6. ToughCOINS

Of course. My point was to imply which constituted the majority by listing it first in the name of the show.

expat and mpcusa like this.
  7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

This was on the web
    Captureq.JPG

Mr.Q likes this.
  8. ToughCOINS

Evidently @russell1256 saw it named differently, or remembered the name differently.

9. russell1256

russell1256 Well-Known Member

I use coinzip and coin shows USA
    Capture1.JPG

ToughCOINS and Mr.Q like this.
  10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Wow, very misleading in their advertisements! Sorry you were misled but you now know what to expect and so do we, thanks for sharing.

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I can top that - I think I posted about this previously.

Last October, I drove up to Oklahoma (~3 hours) for the 2nd day of a two-day show at the Moose Club lounge.

When I arrived about an hour after the show opened, the parking lot was a clue...

20221022_102437.png

Asking the bartender I was pointed to the back room. When I got inside, there was ONE dealer - bullion.

I called the promoter on his cell (he was NOT the dealer) and he said "Oh, yeah most of them went to a show in Arkansas".

The local mutt was sad too...
    20221022_101947.jpg

micbraun and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  12. ToughCOINS

The promoter was not at the show? Did it not occur to him to cancel the show, knowing he was only going to have one dealer there?

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The dolls is for the kids and the makeup is for the girlfriend or wife. That way you won't go home empty handed and make them happy :joyful::kiss:
    The dishes are used for target practice! :wacky:

Mr.Q and rte like this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just mark it up as another show not to go to in the future.

15. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

A lot of the small local mineral shows have been taken over by bead sellers.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Our local shows are still holding up okay. It helps that the "mineral" shows (mostly crystal-magic and jewelry, charges for admission, no thanks) and the "gun and knife" shows are held in separate venues (at the same fairground) and run by separate organizations.

There's one show per year that's held in one of the fairground's smallest venues, and it's got no more than a dozen dealers; I usually don't bother with that one any more. The June show (Raleigh Money Expo) is the biggest show I get to attend, and it's next weekend. Can't wait!

17. Burton Strauss III

@-jeffB (edit:added callout) Please check the RME for sample slabs for me. It misses the cutoff for the 3rd edition of the book, but the club has put together an astonishing range of samples over the years - most denominations and US mints. I use them as a test subject for the book generation code!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  18. Burton Strauss III

Knife, Drawer, Sharpener - one of these things is not in use...

masterswimmer likes this.
  19. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Sports cards are one of the most profitable collecting industries these days. Don’t ask me why. Plenty of YouTubers make their entire LIVING from opening boxes, grading, and selling. It kind of disgusts me

mpcusa likes this.
  20. mpcusa

The industry has really changed when I
    collected way back in high school, only
    one grading service back then ( Beckett )
    but ramped counterfeiting ruined the
    industry, the main was the 1963 Pete
    Rose rookie card, it’s amazing what people will do to make a buck :(

Draft saved Draft deleted