Coin Show Ancient Coin Haul

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CoinMike747, Oct 5, 2013.

1. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Hello coin friends,
    I have officially contracted the ancient coin bug. :D Today was my coin club's annual coin show that happens two times a year, and I left with a small assortment of coins. Two of which, were ancients. At the show I meet an exceptionally kind elderly man who had a small tray of ancients. I approached him with no knowledge of ancient coins, but with the sole interest in them. We talked for a while and I learned quite a bit. I'll definitly be going back to him at our next meeting. :) Here they are:
    Constantine Follis.jpg Paid $30 for the follis, and $35 for the denarius. I left very happy today.:D Julia Denarius.jpg -Mike

chrsmat71, randygeki, TIF and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lovely first coins, I especially like the lady:D. I think you paid a fair price too. The Domna alone would be about $45 since its in good shape despite the area of flat strike on the reverse.

Cant comment much on constantine & the price you paid since I dont focus on his coinage much. Could be average.

Still for first purchases these are great and wish others did the same instead of buying uncleaned bulk trash.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

They are very nice examples. Welcome to the club! Visit
    http://esty.ancients.info/
    for lots of information about ancients and collecting them

CoinMike747 likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I agree that they are all winners ....

=> ummm, but you really should poll all of the gurus here at the site "BEFORE" pulling the trigger, for we/they may have far better opinions and/or far better deals for you!! (umm, or opinions whether you're paying too much, etc) ... you get it, right?

Oh, but welcome to Cookie-Ville (we love new-comers!!)

dark-side-of-the-moon 3.jpg

vlaha and CoinMike747 like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'll agree that both are nice but not great bargains. The Constantine suffers in my book (and probably in rather few others) from the defective officina letter. The image appears to read R*I but the I is probably a P with the loop filled in the die or lost in cleaning the coin. RIC (#19, page 298, volume 7) dates it to 314 AD.

I really agree with Mat on this one. Both coins are presentable to beautiful and exactly the sort of thing I wish more new collectors would buy. The Julia Domna, as Mat mentioned has a flat strike on the head of the reverse figure which, I believe would keep it down to what you paid. Compare it to the one below and ask how much you are willing to pay for a face on Pietas. Is my coin worth $10 more or twice the price? That is an opinion we all can have as we see fit. Very few ancient coins are absolutely perfect. I believe you are quite justified in being happy with these coins.
    rs6090bb0697.jpg

stevex6 and CoinMike747 like this.
  7. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Steve he was at a coin show (One of which my coin club is putting on currently, look for some coins from me too!)

BTW CoinMike, welcome to the Dark Side!:D

CoinMike747 likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't believe in guru polling but encourage you to buy what speaks to you as long as the coins are genuine (these are) and not ridiculously overpriced (some dealers would ask double what you paid; some half, it is just the name of the game). Whick guru are you going to listen to anyway? We all rarely agree on the petty details.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

One thing to note is Pietas Domnas are one of the most common for her & thats why it keeps those particular coins down in price.

They are a attractive/cheap coin if you want an empress. Domna is much more attractive then a Faustina I.:cool:

CoinMike747 likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I can't say anything more then what has already been said about the coins. They are very nice first buys. Welcome to Ancients.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  11. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Thank you everyone for the ancient enlightenment and comments!:D I am very excited to start collecting ancients. Is there any recommended website or book that I could possibly read on roman coinage to learn some beginner information/history? Once again, thanks!

12. Bing

13. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Cmike, great lookin' coins, when you start down the Dark side, there's a bunch of crazy's in this place, which makes it fun and you'll learn a lot. How was the show ?(PNNA) i didn't make down this year. hope you guys come up this next year..;)

CoinMike747 likes this.
  14. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Nice first coins!

I agree with doug to buy what speaks to you. Unfortunately for a lot of us everything speaks to us and we don't have enough money to buy it all!.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  15. Bing

Unfortunately, my wife speaks to me. She found out how much I have spent on coins, so now I am in the time out corner for the foreseeable future

vlaha and Whizb4ng like this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Welcome to the old dark side! Fun fun fun :)

vlaha and CoinMike747 like this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins!

CoinMike747 likes this.
  18. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

[​IMG]

Bing, you and Stevex6 make such a pair thought I should find one of both of you in time out from your wives. You two can fight about who gets to be the ginger.

I haven't gotten a package in 2+ weeks and the Gf knows the next purchase is coming at the coin show next weekend so shes a happy camper right now. My next coin is brought to you by the Canadian government and our quarterly GST cheque!

Bing and stevex6 like this.
  19. Bing

I don't know about ginger, my hair is pretty white. You'd think a man would get to an age where he can make decisions on his own, but noooooo.

I have two coins I purchased back in the beginning of September to show, but after that I'm through till I say enough Hail Mary's and only God knows when that will be.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    stevex6 likes this.
  20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

those are great first ancients!

Draft saved Draft deleted