Coin shortage?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Dougmeister, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I believe that many vendors are using the excuse of coin shortages to take advantage of customers. I thing I mentioned one previously, but I got hit by a gas station. As most, if not all, gas stations have to pay in advance, so I have them $40 (only had $20 bills at the time) and I got $16.10 in gas. I went in to get my change and was only given $13. When I asked for my change, I was told that they don't carry coins anymore. I was mucho p$ss, so I told him to wait a minute and I found 5 pennies and a nickel and took it to him, so he gave me the other dollar. I live in a small town and the station owner is a homebody from the town. I put an ad in the paper, telling people to make sure they have correct coins as this station does not give change. I knew that jerk and I told him I would not get back. He knew me and he called me and called me a $$$$$. Everybody is using coin shortages and Corona Virus for any excuse they can.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I would have recommended everyone to bring their pennies.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Your close to Boston fed banks.

5. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Not now but go to Brookline every now and then.
    Why, is there a shortage?

6. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

How much will people PAY for coins? That is the real indicator. This happened in the 19th century and it happened in both directions. There were times when coins were in short supply and merchants paid for them and times when their tills were awash and they had to pay banks to take them away.

So what is the story now? Is anyone offering to pay $11 for $10 in quarters?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I've seen reports of a bank offering $105 for $100 worth of change. I don't think it's common at the moment.

8. Cheech9712

Yes (Buffalo). Banks and cornerstores

9. Cheech9712

@furryfrog02. There’s a profit to be had here. But still 2 trips

10. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

No shortage at my bank branch! They had quite a few rolls on the teller's desk went I went in today! BTW Peter, hello from a fellow Cretan.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  11. Peter Economakis

Kalimera:)

manny9655 likes this.
  12. manny9655

Look on the last page of the Coins and History thread on the World Coins forum and you will see my writeup on what my family had to do with the formation of the Cretan State in 1898. Our homestead was the first capital of Crete after it became independent from Turkey.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  13. Peter Economakis

Wow, will do.. Sounds fantastic!!
    All I know of my bloodline was my Pops was born in Sparta "Logganiko" and my Mom in "Magoola" Sparta.
    My father had me at late in age at 47ish and my Gramma his mom was born in 1861 and married at 13 which was normal in those days. She passed at 101 when I was maby 6 months old. To find old info or paper trail from such a small village would be impossible..
    I guess I in my blood line is Harry Aggannis who was a 2 pro sports star in Boston. My claim to fame lol! but my uncles and father did bring clean running water to their village..
    My Father did do alot of Icons for Churches in Greece and here in Boston.
    This was is a oil portrait of my Gramma he did in around 1940 I think.
    I will sure read your write up and looking so forward to it!!

Attached Files:

14. manny9655

MY DAD KNEW HARRY AGGANIS!!!!! He grew up in Lynn. Harry is buried near my cousin. I still have a photo of Harry from 1946 from a testimonial dinner in his honor at the old Oxford Club in Lynn. My dad is very prominent in the photo. Harry's nephew Mike was the former owner of the Akron Aeros (now the Rubber Ducks). I live in the Akron area.

15. manny9655

BTW I went to high school with former NE Patriots Pro Bowl safety Tim Fox....he was a year ahead of me but I knew him pretty well. Sat next to him in the junior high school band...

16. Peter Economakis

My privately owned corner store will be happy to take some change. He's foreign and not the type to make conversation 'more of a jerk I would say" so I didn't ask about the shortage issue..

Manny, that read was some powerful reading;) It's amazing what are relatives went through to give us a good life.. I never went hungry one day in my life but they suffered. I will re read it again as soon as I post this.:)
    I'm 57 and my Father was drafted 4 or 5 times in the Greek army during WW2. Yes he had me that late in life. His suffered frost bite on his toes, he didn't lose any but his nails grew really weird.
    Iv'e had Uncles from both parent's that I never got to know because of the Nazi's taking them.

It's funny to just how many people don't know Harry Agganis. Actually he isn't in my blood line, just that my father grew up with his father or uncles in Logganiko who lived in Lynn. Iv'e been to their homes a few times maby 35 years ago and they told me story's of him. Talk about pictures, wow so many and I have a feeling your Pops was in some and i'm sure we have been to the same functions, weddings etc..
    He was a great friend with YAZ and Yaz loved Harrys Mom's cooking.
    It's even sadder that he died because his issue was curable, it was all started when he took a beating in a game I think playing QB for BU and they couldn't protect him.
    It was stingy Sox owner I think Yawkey that just brought Harry to like a sports injury clinic, rather than a hospital. If i'm wrong correct me please.
    Look up the "Logganiko Society" i'm sure there pics or mentions of your Pops.

Tim Fox as a friend in the day, pretty cool. He played before my interest in the NFL but I know his story of a player.

I went to Brookline High which many students are pretty much famous. Not me though:oops:
    Met and knew few pro sports players, Howie Long, Russ Francis and a few others. My friend got a shot rejected from Patrick Ewing back when he played in Cambridge.

My Father co owned a resteraunt for years on Charles St in Boston. Your Pops could of went there. It was right near the State House so alot of story's. One was that the Boston Strangler killed a poor woman in the apartments right on top.
    The Police actually hung out there and staked out for a while.

If this is posting is bothering members I will glady ask the Mods to move it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    manny9655, Jim Dale and slackaction1 like this.
  17. manny9655

I'm sending you a "conversation". I'm not sure how that works yet but I thought it might be better to take our discussion off this thread.

18. Bryan Dillard

Bryan Dillard Active Member

If we were to go to a cashless society the treasury would call in all us currency possibly making it illegal to have a collection of coins or bills

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Why would they make it illegal to hold? Just decree that it won't be spendable after a certain date. Most people will turn theirs in for e-credit. Those who don't? It's a windfall for the government, as they're freed from an obligation they'd issued.

20. Peter Economakis

Well my 2 local CVS's have no change, the draws are empty no lie, the pharmacist register had maby $2 in change, maby only 3 pennys on the table at the store register checkout that people leave.
    They do have the round up the to the dollar at checkout for charity's on the key pad.
    Could be just CVS doing this at their stores as within a mile of CVS other stores seem to have a little change at least??

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I went to Wal Mart and they only take checks or credit cards. My main check wouldn't work in their stupid machine, but, luckily I have a backup. I've had it for a few years and never used it. (My wife uses all of her credit cards.) But the stores in this little back water town say their banks don't have coins either. I know the coins are there. I know, because I have six jars of quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies, not counting my collection. But I'm not giving them up until they pay 120%.

Draft saved Draft deleted