Coin Shortage? Half dollars back in circulation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kSigSteve, Jul 18, 2020.

1. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I know there are a few threads around about the coin shortage but this one is a bit different.

5400D906-B613-43CF-A530-C169439405BB.jpeg

About 2 weeks ago several cities started experiencing coin shortages. Our local Chase bank has limited all coin purchases to a limit of 2 rolls per account. This means if you need $2 in cents you can only get $1 today. At the restaurant I operate, that has a drive thru, we have seen this shortage impact first hand. Quarters have been the hardest to come by that I have seen and experienced the worst impact. Several days I have had to go to 2-3 banks to get enough rolls to support change needs.

We began utilizing half dollars to cut our quarter usage in half, pun intended. It has worked quite well and the banks have been more than willing to unload the half dollars that have been sitting for so many years and decades. It’s the craziest thing I have seen in awhile, until this article came out.

A bank in Los Angeles announced today they will pay $5 for every $100 worth of coins brought in.

https://www.foxla.com/news/coin-sho...for-spare-change-it-has-never-happened-before

Half dollars are making their way back.

7231217A-5864-4E62-A9FF-6C2330792C02.jpeg

GH#75, capthank, LA_Geezer and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

When I was working at NASA, they stopped using cents at the cafetarias. No reason for nickels and dimes, either.

kSigSteve likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I sure wish I could find a place to off-load all my searched coin.

Cheech9712 and kSigSteve like this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hey, am I good, or what? :rolleyes:

I would be happy as can be to see halves start circulating again. I was quite sure I'd never see it happen. But, of course, 2020 has been full of surprises. Now, if we can just remind the right people that silver tends to kill germs...

kSigSteve likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't need coins for a business. I just tell them how many rolls of what and as long as I have the money I get them. No shortage in my area.

7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Way to go! I thought of trying halves the first week where we were experiencing some difficulty keeping quarters in the tills. Most people don’t even look at the change you give them and throw it in the cup holder. Several of my employees had never seen one and a lot of the customers either. It’s been fun to watch it unfold. 2020 has been a year that is for sure.

Mike Davis likes this.
  8. -jeffB

It's already been a really long decade.

NSP, kSigSteve and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

And we are barely halfway through...
    I'm ready to get off this ride.

10. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

This Beach Boys song reminds me of 2020...

11. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Oh oh, are the police going to get calls from anxious store managers about people trying to pass off large coins with JFK on them?

Hopefully this won't turn into a $2 bill drama... :D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Sometimes it ends in your favor.

I went to taco bell to buy a $1.08 item. I handed the cashier 1 Presidential dollar, and one Kennedy half.

Confused, she gave me back the half, and kept the dollar. That day I made $0.08 off a thoroughly confused cashier.

13. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

I wonder of people begin feeling the civic duty to bring in their coin jars, perhaps many roll searchers will find it to be a bonanza of rare coins. I always carry 50 cent coins with me and if I cannot use to pay, I use to tip.

14. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

15. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Someone named Karen will be the first to call.

16. -jeffB

Sigh. We had a very good friend named Karen. Yeah, she was a bit tightly wound at times, but really didn't fit this stereotype that's burst into the world over the last month or two. I wince a little bit every time I hear "Karen" now.

17. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I have a sister named Karen. So far she hasn't called the COPS on me.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

So I work at Baskin Robins and I convinced the owner of the location to get halves from the bank and to use as change. Ive never seen so many confused people in my life.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  19. Rhody

Rhody Member

Just tell they're "four bits"

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I would gladly pay $5 for $100. LOL I knew what you meant, but upon first read, I thought it was funny.

kSigSteve likes this.
  21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

That was just mean. LOL, LOL, LOL, I love it when the younger generation has to deal with us older folks.

johnyb and okbustchaser like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted