Coin shops in Munich?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Hi All, I am heading to Europe in a few weeks and I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the coin shops in Munich. I will also be in Dublin, Ireland and Salzburg Austria though I do not know of any shops in these locations.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

gregarious and Alegandron like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Gorny and Mosch comes to mind immediately. Although I don't by from them anymore.
    Maximilianspl. 20, 80333 München, Germany
    Phone: +49 89 24226430

Alegandron and Orfew like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Can I carry your bags?

5. tobiask

tobiask Well-Known Member

Every time I visit my old home in Germany I visit the "Münzgalerie München MGM Handels GmbH & Co. Joker KG" located at

Stiglmaierplatz 2
    80333 München

When i was browsing their coins I sat with them at the front desk and they were very patient and friendly every time. Very professional, also deal with WW2 medals if thats your thing. I did not see many ancients, but thats because I told them I wanted to buy medieval/german states coins. All coins were presented on several trays.
    Have fun.

Alegandron and Orfew like this.
  6. Orfew

Did you have a poor experience with them?

7. Orfew

Of course, but the cost would be high. You would have to listen to a bunch of old academics talk about things nobody cares about for days.;)

Pellinore likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm good at tuning out. Just ask my wife.

wrappedinsky, Kentucky, TIF and 2 others like this.
  9. 4to2centBC

No. But over the years, articles like this have turned me off to them.

http://www.elginism.com/similar-cases/the-trial-of-the-tomb-robbers/20080209/978/

http://www.coinworld.com/news/world...ims-auction-houses-support-terrorism.all.html

I don't plan on getting into another discussion about how antiquities are found and sold. But you asked why and the articles above are part of the reason.

Still worth a visit IMO. Purchasing may be a different matter though.

Nerva likes this.
  10. Orfew

Thanks for the links. They made for interesting reading.

11. 4to2centBC

BTW you must go to the castle in Salzburg. See if they still have quartets playing in the evening up there. As for Dublin...Trinity College is a must see and Temple Bar at night is a required ritual. If I had not done it already I would be insanely jealous, so I am merely envious.........well, more than merely.

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. Orfew

Okay, the castle in Salzburg is now on the list. I have been to Dublin before. I spent hours in the long room library and saw the Book of Kells. Trinity is great. Temple bar is also a lot of fun, but a different variety of fun. I need to bring back something for my wife so shopping on O'Connell street is a must.

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it.

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Have you seen the mummy in Dublin? It's in the church by the Jameson distillery. No photos. Supposed to be good luck to shake his hand. Forget coins in Dublin. Salzburg is pretty cool. Think I walked past a coin shop while there...except it was late.

14. Orfew

Well since I will be going to the Jameson distillery anyway...

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Google it. I thought it was pretty cool. It's a mummified crusader in the catacomb under a church.

Orfew likes this.
  17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Google it. I thought it was pretty cool. It's a mummified crusader in the catacomb under a church.

Orfew likes this.
  18. Orfew

Interesting story...I will definitely put it on the list.

19. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

ahaha!.. he'll need a food taster too, so i'm in:)

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Hi Orfew, besides Gorny u. Mosch already mentioned above, I can suggest you try
    Lanz:
    Numismatik Lanz ・ Maximiliansplatz 10 ・ 80333 München ・ T +49 89 299070

Both Gorny/Mosch and Lanz are strictly speaking auction houses, but I believe they have shops as well. Worth a try if you are going to be in the city anyway.
    I have used both many times in the past, but only at auction or via Ebay (Lanz carries Ebay auctions as well).
    Best of luck!

Orfew likes this.
  21. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Don't know about coin shops, but two of the most perfect museums of antiquities, opposite each other in austere neo-classical buildings. One side is the Antikensammlung with vases and objects, opposite the Glyptothek with sculptures. Small but perfectly formed - outstanding quality collections. http://www.antike-am-koenigsplatz.mwn.de/

Orfew likes this.
  22. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Cannot help with dealers, but a few have already been mentioned here. :) What could also be interesting is the Staatliche Münzsammlung, the coin collection of the state of Bavaria, in central Munich.

Christian

Pellinore and Orfew like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted