Coin Sets of All Nations - good deal?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by joecoincollect, May 30, 2015.

1. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Hi. I just bought four volume boxes of these coin sets for 200 dollars. Isn't that a pretty good deal? I counted 149 different card sets all together. So that's a little over a dollar for each set! This guy just wanted to get rid of them. There was styrofoam inserts between cards, so it seemed pretty untouched. I looked up a few coins in some of the sets, like the panama one, chad, china, etc, and some individual coins have nice catalog values. I put a bunch up on ebay, so we'll see what happens. By the way, do you know a good article or web sight that discusses these sets, which cards are scarce, etc? It's very hard to find anything on these. I searched ebay completed auctions and got an idea,but some sets never were sold like my panama one, and it makes me wonder how scarce it is.

chrisild likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

200 dollars seem like a steal! It's getting rarer to see them in a set these days. A bit of a shame to see it broken apart.

In particular two particular sets come to mind - China and Russia. If I recall correctly, there were only proof coins issued for some years yet a few somehow ended up in such cards. Perhaps proof mint sets were broken up to be repackaged? Nevertheless, I've seen some going well over 500 dollars. The same with Russia - if it had the key date 1976 20 kopek, that is also another 50-100 dollar coin. If you have the years handy, I might be able to give you a rough idea.

NOS likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

How about some pictures?

NOS and spirityoda like this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Have a look at this earlier topic, particularly this post and the next one ...

6. joecoincollect

Thanks for the replies. I'll check those older posts

7. joecoincollect

Does any one know about the Sudan card? I tried to sell it with three other African countries but ebay didn't permit it. It's still in the pics on ebay, but I noted that the auction is only for three cards mad Sudan is not included. Is this card scarce? I didn't look at my catalog yet but I thought I read somewhere sudan's card is valuable

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Might have something to do with US sanctions. Not sure though, and eBay is famous for having its own set of rules. ;)

Christian

9. onecenter

onecenter Member

Sudanese coins are banned for supposed eBay compliance with USA trade sanctions that apply to countries like North Korea and Iran.

Often you will find Sudanese coins listed on eBay as "South Sudan" which became its own sovereign country in 2005, or "Africa" to provide a continental name and fool eBay filters.

Oddly, Sudanese coin sets from at least the 1960s were minted at the US Mint in Philadelphia and have the packaging style of that era.

joecoincollect and NOS like this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

11. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I have the Republic of West Germany and Ireland. I like them and have not broken them out of the packets they came in. The only thing I didn't like was that none of the Coins Sets of all Nations have any silver coinage. Am I correct in this assumption? I actually like them and can't bring myself to break them up. Oh yeah I have the Russian Federation with the year 1991. I think that is the key year but not sure. Thanks. :joyful:

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The sets from the Federal Republic of Germany (guess that is what you meant) include the 5 DM coin which was Ag 625 until 1974. In '75 that was replaced by a Cu-Ni piece. So if the silver content is important for you, check the date. :)

Christian

13. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I dont think I have that particular year...I think that mine is '82 but I will check to see when I get off work. Maybe, just maybe, I will have the silver content one. Thanks for the info I needed to know what year it changed from silver to the Cu-Ni composition.

14. frech001

frech001 New but Old

This thread triggered a related question. I've started selling a world collection with coins from over 200 different nations spanning several centuries. The collection was stored poorly for over 40 years before I obtained it, but most of the coins, especially those sealed in plastic holders, tubes and even cardboard flips survived OK. The collection does not include many coins worth selling individually. The collector appears to have been a type set collector and he purchased the cheapest coin from each type with some mint sets from the 1960s. I've just started selling them and have only listed coins from Sweden so far. It will take me years to list them on eBay at this rate and I've been realizing only about 10-30% of book prices. Most listings are valued at less than shipping costs so they only sell to those taking advantage of combined shipping. Interestingly, most sales go to people with Swedish names. I started with Sweden because the collector was a Swede and it was the largest set. But I've needed to relist most of them. The "lot" sales of world coins on eBay are mostly of fairly current coins and since I've already cataloged each of them I'd hate to have wasted all my time. Any suggestions?

15. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

This thread stimulated my memory and I took a look in the store room. I must have bought this set many years ago. There are four large boxes, Vol. I to Vol. IV. I have the China card too but the Russian 20 Kopek is a 1979 and not a 1976.

16. joecoincollect

If the coin values are pretty low, just sell a bunch of countries together. Like a region, and then ship using a flat rate box. Take a few pics of the coins tightly together, front and back, and provide a good description of what the coins are, where they are from, problems, etc

frech001 likes this.
  17. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I think some of the Coin Sets of All Nations are great deals. Many of the choice ones have already traded hands, so shop carefully. There is a fellow in Kentucky or Tennessee, selling quite a few currently on EBAY. Some of the sets usually have one dud or so. The Russian and Chinese sets are commanding very high premiums. Still, some good bargains remain, South Africa and Austria come to mind. Usually the sets sell for 6 - 10 dollars. The sets are not identical, so check the dates. But MOST IMPORTANTLY you will be getting uncirculated genuine coins, and getting a 1977 (et al) UNcirculated coin on EBAY is always welcome. I did find a coin or two which were not uncirculated: the set was the Philippine one. So again, they are fine sets, some with exceptional bargains, BUT shop carefully, ask questions, request sharp photos etc. The Franklin Mint had a winner with these sets!! A day is coming when they will be very hard to find, or very expensive!!
    GSDykes

joecoincollect likes this.
  18. joecoincollect

I agree. I think they are very neat. I didn't even think about the South African one. The Austrian one I was going to sell, two cards for 5 dollars at a flea market. Maybe I should hold on to it. I looked the coins up and they were only a few dollars

19. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

1979 20 kopek unfortunately is a common date. I suspect your 15 kopek is also dated 1978 or 1979. In general, a lot of the higher denomination Soviet coins, 15 kopek onwards dated 1965 - 1976 are getting harder to find. Again, this is just a generalization but nevertheless if you do have such coins struck in between those years - you might have something!

As for the manufacturing method, I had a debate with Soviet coin collectors on whether such coins in mint sets were struck in proof standard or not. To my understanding, there was never such intention to strike such coins in proof. Condition wise, they are definitely proof-like. I do have some coins that do reflect strongly like what a proof coin would do.

Draft saved Draft deleted