Coin selling

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Oct 5, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

Hello all,

I have been selling a bit on eBay now of some of my collection and do find it to be okay but does anyone know of other ways of selling coins possibly for a better price? Not so much auctions like heritage but maybe other sites or different ways? I feel as if I have sold some great coins that should have gone for a bit more. I wish I could get my coins graded because I know that helps somewhat but I don’t find myself having that kind of time or large enough supply to keep up with that at this early on, thank you!

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'm New here..but I know some of the forums have a For Sale section. Also there are other sites but Ebay seems to be the place to go . edited

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2020
    capthank and AirborneReams like this.
  4. goossen

goossen Senior Member

AirborneReams and capthank like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think you're going to find that selling raw coins can be pretty much a "crap shoot". Granted, certified coins in similar condition can sell for more, but buyers aren't going to want to pay those prices no matter how great you think the coins are.

capthank likes this.
  6. SensibleSal66

I checked it out . Kind of like ebay . Lots of stuff from outside the States too .

AirborneReams and capthank like this.
  7. SensibleSal66

Thanks 9ball

AirborneReams likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

First of all consider this, as a general rule many buyers on ebay pay more than the coins are worth to begin with because a whole lot of them don't know what they're doing.

Once you understand that, then you begin to realize what most folks who sell coins realize eventually, lots and lots of coins aren't worth anywhere near what we "think" they're worth !

This is how and why selling coins teaches one how to buy coins !

Gilbert, Two Dogs, Spark1951 and 17 others like this.
  9. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I have had a hard time selling coins on ebay. Maybe people do not respect me because I have less than 1000 feedbacks or they are all looking for a low ball bargain? I dunno. Just found out today that outgoing international email is a go, so I will probably list some on ebay.

LA_Geezer, AirborneReams and capthank like this.
  10. N5GWU

N5GWU Member

I have been very successful selling my coins through Great Collections, they will get your coins graded by PCGS and they get a huge number of people shopping their auctions. I've gotten considerably more for the coins they have sold/auctioned for me than I ever would have gotten by selling them on ebay.

11. coin_nut

Thanks, will check that out. I dabbled with eBid for a while, then got burned and shied away. Most of my culls are of low value, so the PCGS grading might be a killer.

12. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

Ebay is pretty good for coins that regularly sell on ebay (look at completed auctions/sales to see if your pricing is not inline). For more rare, unknown, or valuable coins, i agree great collections and heritage are better venues.

I see a lot of people selling for more than they are really "worth". Be realistic with what your coin is worth and set prices accordingly.

AirborneReams, Mainebill and capthank like this.
  13. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

They are a good source but it all depends on the value of the raw coins. Low value coins would be a waste of time to send to PCGS. They do sell raw coin lots through their auctions but typically in bulk sets.

14. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Is that “considerable more” after the percentage the auction house gets, or before.

DEA likes this.
  15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I prefer not to sell our coins but often time I will find a item of interest on ebay. Several sites out there but I prefer to limit my access to them. Good luck

16. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Exactly. I sell on eBay quite a bit. I think the problem is with collectors, especially new ones, is that they think they are going to get price guide prices. 99% of the time, it's just not going to happen.

17. Aksully

Aksully Member

I agree with Joshua here. I'm about 95% finished selling my family collection due to age, health issues, and no relatives that I'd care to leave it to. I started back in March and should be done by November. I looked at recent sold/completed sales for the items I sell and note that. Then looked at similar current items. Then I used the two points to set my starting price that is always lower than current offerings. And I offer free shipping. 250+ sales later I am very happy with my returns. And just as important to me, the people are very satisfied with accurate descriptions, next day free shipping, and great communication. I contact each new winner explaining how I ship. Once I see tracking I let them know that. And I follow the progress of each order to watch for postal issues and let them know immediately if there is a holdup along the way. So these are the steps I take and it has worked well for me and for folks that have bought from me. Price guides I see on NGC & PCGS, Greysheet etc were less useful to me as I wasn't selling rare coins. I decided I would let the "marketplace" determine the worth and just go from there. I also found that selling on ebay was the same in terms of expenses vs selling to local dealers. Good luck in your Selling Journey Airborne!

capthank, Trish, TonkawaBill and 6 others like this.
  18. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

Very reasonable approach, and good job with all that progress!

AirborneReams and Aksully like this.
  19. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

If you noticed nobody recommended bringing them to a coin shop to sell ;)

TonkawaBill likes this.
  20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nope. But I do and always have strongly recommended that if you're gonna sell a collection, just find a respected dealer and send it to them.

Why ? Because when selling them individually yourself, by the time you pay all the fees, shipping costs etc, you end up with about the same amount of money. And you don't have to spend months or a year of time and work doing it.

You pick your dealer, you send him the coins, he sends you a check. Over and done with in one shot. And yes, I've done it myself, twice ;)

21. coin_nut

Some years ago I helped a new widow in that way. After her husband (my former co worker) died, she called and said she found a tool box in the closet, with a pad lock on it, and it was so heavy she could not lift it. She suspected it was full of money. I went over there with my master key (24" bolt cutter) and sure enough, it was full of coins and stamps. She was kind of broke while all the probate stuff was going on, so at her request I went to my favorite big coin shop in Seattle. Used my hand truck to haul that heavy box of silver in there and the owners spent a long time sorting through all those coins. Apparently there were few if any rare or collectible coins, mostly like 'junk silver'. They had a neat coin counting machine. The stamps were all 1 cent, blue or purple color, and basically worthless. The silver dollars I wanted, they said they would pay $300 for them, so I handed her 3 honey bees (hundred dollar bills) along with the check from the coin shop for $5,500. Everyone was happy.

Draft saved Draft deleted