Coin Scam

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cloudsweeper99, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Universal Coin & Bullion, Ltd., 1st American Reserve, 1st Capital Reserve,
    1st Fidelity Reserve, and 1st National Reserve.

Arent some of these those companies that put out whole page ads in the newpaper? I have always wondered if those companies are legit.

4. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

sending unordered coins to customers,
    fabricating information about the origin and current and likely future
    value of coins, and not honoring return guarantees.

Through for a minute it was Coin Vault or NBC shop Network --- LOL

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

get those creeps.

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Class them as horse thiefs and Hang em High.

De Orc :thumb:

7. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I agree with De Orc!!!

8. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

I think that it is vital to go after operations such at these. If people's first experiences with the coin hobby are scam artists, they make be forever turned away from collecting.

9. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I say - Lock them up and throw away the key. Better yet, put them in an unarmored hummer and have them lead our military around the streets of Baghdad. At least this way they contribute something useful to society.

10. srkjkd

srkjkd Book before coin

i hope they absolutely hammer these guys!! i wonder if those firms have any assets left to distribute to the victims? the scammers also need to do time in the regular prison system. make an example of them.

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

A lot of those names are very confusing,considering that they have the word 'Reserve' in their names.As for that Universal Coin & Bullion Ltd.,their name is very similar to that of a coin dealer up in Ottawa,Canada who sell a lot of stuff up on eBay.

Aidan.

12. silver surfer

silver surfer Senior Member

Universal Coin & Bullion had an add in the 2007 Red Book offering 2 ASE for the cost of shipping($10).
    When i called the 800# i was told they could only send me 1 ASE,ok no problem .
    Not worth it i get a phone call about once a month(usually too early in the AM) from one of their sales reps
    pitching some fantastic deal,and i'm the type that hates telemarketing calls.

13. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Lock em up, and throw away the key!

Phoenix:cool:

14. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

This is the point I've been trying to get across for a long time to various individuals.

15. coinage86

coinage86 New Member

theres a couple of companies that operate out of long island, new york that run ads once in a while. The coins are cheap enough, that you wont lose too much money. the ads never mention what the coins would grade if graded.

16. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

So I'm talking with my wife last night and the phone rings. She works from home and gets calls from all over the country every day. This call was from Texas and she let it go to voice mail. She listened to the message after and it was from 1st American Reserve. She tells me this and goes on to say that a few years ago she bought me a few coins for Christmas from them and they call back on a regular basis trying to sell more coins. I told her about this thread and asked that she not buy anything else from them. What she did get a couple years ago was nice enough and she says was very cheap. I think she bought a $1 gold piece, a 186? two cent coin, a AU Franklin half, and a mercury dime.

The message said he had some really great deals for her and to call back. They may be selling everything before they are out of business and to pay for the lawyer fees.

Draft saved Draft deleted