Coin roll searching today for some new 2022 and found what appears to be errored coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Richard Kennedy, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Richard Kennedy

Richard Kennedy Active Member

I was searching 20 rolls of quarters today looking for some Maya 2022 coins and ran across something quite interesting. I found 66 beautiful looked to mostly be uncirculated brilliant glossy various state quarters. The thin is on the reverse there are crossing straight lines. Not all the same but similar. All are on the reverse and cross and are straight. I will post a few examples for your opinions.. One person on the form stated they were error coins meant to be destroyed and somehow got into bank circulation rolls. He told me to send then into NGC for grading. The lines are raised. C81FDEC3-6B9E-4710-BF60-B1F3A6473CAE.jpeg A701D2A1-D8A4-4045-9CCE-92735F4EBD5F.jpeg B43CDFC4-E4EF-40BA-A7EB-B82576F16458.jpeg 67691C7F-56EE-42FD-AE7F-42847F2EDE34.jpeg 2D6E7DFC-2A15-482C-A452-0ACB082790F6.jpeg 49CDCEB1-EBC7-4325-97D7-1A09D0976DEA.jpeg 7813A13A-EDB2-4801-A469-11C4F0D76B4D.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

at first = The quarters look like someone marked the quarters as being already looked at. Maybe being lazy or mean as to thinking "if they don't go in my collection- they aren't going in anyone else's " ????

I've seen it done with dollar coins - someone putting a big scratch on brand new coins like yours. Maybe someone paid extra for them so it eliminates the "so called" extra value the mint or someone else charges - hope that makes sense ??? Snowman

expat likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Damage is what it looks like.

expat and Kevin Mader like this.
  5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Yes. Looks like damage. It extends beyond the fields into the rim. Maybe a knife.

expat likes this.
  6. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

So, all of you discount the "lines are raised" aspect of the post? Just wondering, as some look like knife cuts into the metal, but that first one sure looks raised to me.

7. Richard Kennedy

They are raised and no one will convince me that someone marked these intentionally. How could every nice uncirculated looking coin in 20 bank rolls from the federal reserve get done by someone. Not likely or even reasonable.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It was fine when you were presenting the coins for opinions yay or nay. Now, after all the answers you have gotten from this and your other posts about similar coins, you are getting argumentative. If you have made up your mind as to the answer, then you really should move on to the next thing and let this go. The best way to prove everyone here wrong, is to send them in to a grading service, pay their fees, then get back to us with pics of the final outcome and throw pie on our faces.

9. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

They have been marked by a previous searcher. A mint cancelled coin would not look like that.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  10. Richard Kennedy

Ok. Thanks for your responses. Someone has way too much time on their hands. I am sending them back to the bank. You have convinced me.

11. Richard Kennedy

And I apologize and appreciate everyone's honest comments. As a coin collector it really ticks me off someone would intentionally damage such nice coins. Thanks again.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  12. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Don’t lose any sleep over it. All of us have been fooled and will be fooled again. Some damage just looks too good to be damage. The worst thing is when you find a collectible coin that has received some damage. Frustrating moments!

Draft saved Draft deleted