Coin Roll Hunting - Bank Question

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by IanC, Nov 17, 2017.

1. IanC

IanC Numismatist

My bank always has several boxes of every denomination of coin (except dollars) that I can go and pick up. Today, however, I went to the bank and asked for a box of dimes and a box of pennies. My normal teller was helping someone, so there was someone different who was helping me. The other teller said okay and turned around to get them out, but then my normal teller overheard and told me and the other teller that they're only allowed to give boxes to businesses and they're no longer allowed to give them to individuals. That change happened sometime this week since I got a box of nickels and a box of pennies last week and all was great.

When I got home after my disappointment, I contacted the corporate part of the bank and told them of my issue. They told me to see if the branch would be okay with ordering me some and then I would have to pay a $4 fee since I'm an individual instead of a business. Now that I think about it, I should have asked if they'd order me some when I was at the bank, but that was a very unexpected response from them, so I just nicely said thanks and left. However, I don't really want to pay a $4 fee, so I was looking at other banks to use just for coin roll hunting.

What banks do you recommend? I'm looking for one that has a free or low minimum deposit and doesn't have extra fees, such as a monthly fee, or a fee for bringing in rolled coins. My bank has always been very nice to me, but it seems some bank-wide policy must have changed. I live in the Chicago area.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It is only a matter of time before all banks and credit unions start charging for this service. There are just too many people who have abused this privilege for years after silver skyrocketed to almost $50 per ounce.

Sure, a lot of the abusers claim that they don't dump the coins at the bank where they order them, but that is meaningless because other people dump at their bank making the came claim.

Chris

Amos 811 likes this.
  4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

4+ boxes a week, slip the head teller a $5 coffee card every now and then, your welcome.

5. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I think you play it by ear at any bank. I don't have a preference as far as getting CWR or BWR. I know if I go to Bank of America, chances are, I'm getting CWR unless they ask me to scan my card (in that case, it's linked to my husband's account and he is a bank employee and they treat their employees fantastic!!!) and then I can get pretty much whatever you ask for. Within Reason. I know if I go to an M&T bank, you generally get customer wrapped. No problem. I've gotten neat things out of either type of rolls. I think chris is right, eventually you will see the banks charge for everything and at least to me, $4 doesn't seem all that bad. Good luck with your hunt for a new bank. Remember, always be nice (as you said before). Good luck!

6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I've found that so-called bank "policy" can vary widely from one branch location to another. You may think a corporate decree has been put out but this may well not be the case. Oftentimes, it is just a localized supervisor or manager that makes up the rules as they feel like or otherwise see fit.

I recall a number of years ago I was told at one branch of a bank that it would charge me a $7 fee (!) to buy a box of cents. However, another branch of this same bank located just a few miles away never once told me I would have to pay a fee and didn't hesitate to go to the vault to grab whatever I'd like.

What you can do is just wait until the supervisor or manager that put out this new rule either quits, gets fired, promotes up, or otherwise transfers to another branch location and hope the tellers stop enforcing it. Oh, and in the meantime while you wait you can make this particular branch into your one-stop dumping location.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  7. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

Well my bank allows me to buy the coin bags that come off of the coin counter machine.Going to see if they allow me to buy $25 dollars in half’s so I can try to search for silver today along with my bag of penny’s.
    Thanks,
    icollectoldmoney

8. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

At the two branches I use I set an appointment and talked it over with the managers. Both branches handle business accounts so it’s not uncommon for them to take deposit bags of change on a daily basis. All I have to do is bag it up in the nifty bags I bought online that the bank recommended. The Managers have NO problems taking my coins. The branches send them out to Be counted and then deposit in my account what ever was in the bag. Also I only put one denomination in a bag for deposit, all cents or all nickels, you get it. As far as getting coins also no problem but I do go when it is the least crowded so as to not be a bother.

9. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

I got it here is what you do. Start a business, get a business account at your bank, get all the freaking rolls and boxes you want, wave every time you see your old teller friend. I live in Washington State and to get a basic State business license its less than $25. With that paper work i then can open a business account. Boom. Done.

Draft saved Draft deleted