Coin Roll Hunting - Ancient Coin Style...Cleaning

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, May 25, 2020.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I tend to get sucked into ordering uncleaned ancients from time to time and wanted to share my latest "adventure". I noticed an ad on e-bay for 10 crusties for $8. I put in a bid to see what they sold for and lo-and-behold, no one bid and I got them. First thing I noticed was that they are large for uncleaned ancients:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So...in to soak. I used a tupperwear type container so I could seal it and shake the coins. After a couple of weeks, changing the water and brushing them, I decided to get more aggressive with one. This is the one I picked:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started soaking it in KOH (could have used NaOH, but had KOH), rinsing and brushing, then working with a dental pick and ended up with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In order to see the legends better, I photographed it against a black background with stronger lighting:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maximianus, Sacra Moneta Reverse, Ticinium mint, RIC VI 45 A or B I think, 25 mm, 8.09 g...corrections welcome.
    The rest of the coins also got the KOH treatment, but nothing this good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll be asking questions about some of them.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like that Hadrian already!

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Aaron Apfel

Aaron Apfel Active Member

I've only ever soaked with distilled water because I'm always scared of stripping patina, but for $8 it looks like you got a really good bargain! Even with the loss of patina that Maximian/Galerius (not sure which) looks really good! The Hadrian doesn't even seem to have lost much patina at all? I may give KOH/NaOH a go on my super crusty ones in future. Do you mind explaining how long you soaked them for?

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted