Coin roll hunted nickels.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Dilly dollar, Apr 21, 2015.

?

What would you keep

1. Only war nickels and buffalos.

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Every thing before the early 60s

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Dilly dollar

Dilly dollar Active Member

Personally I'd choose just war nickels and buffalos, but also doing that could get boring so every thing before the 60s would keep it more interesting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have a roll of every date/mm from 59 and back plus all wars and buffs. Not really sure why but that's what I have :)

silentnviolent likes this.
  4. Dilly dollar

Interesting but unusual.

5. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I compulsively save all pre-1960 nicks I come across. I figure.... "meh..."

Gilbert and HunterOhlsen like this.
  6. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I keep all the pre-60 nickels, they probably aren't going to be worth much ever, but why not, its not like I'm losing money

Charles1997, MKent and Dilly dollar like this.
  7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

same here i keep all pre 60 nickels i find..

8. Dilly dollar

Your right your not losing money. GOOD POINT

9. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

I just keep any pre 1950 and any proofs I come by.

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Pre 1960. I have bags of them now after having done it for nearly thirty years. I should see if I have a full set yet.

Christobal and MKent like this.
  11. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Both, for poll question.
    Technically, you could be losing money. If the money you are locking up in nickels is not appreciating (or not appreciating much), then you could be using that money to purchase something that does appreciate (or appreciates more). That difference between the two is essentially the same as "losing money". This is also known as opportunity cost.

12. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

You'd have to hoard an awful lot of them to lose significant investment gains.

Anyway, I'm still building my collection, filling my primary and secondary albums of all US coins. So for nickels, I'm looking for my missing ones and saving all of the lower mintage examples I find. Eventually, I will whittle down my culls to just the best 10 or 20, whatever, and upgrade them as I can. Few of my nickels are of high value quality, though, as all of them came from bank coin rolls (circulated). Every now and then I find a great AU example and that makes my day. I found a supurb 38 plain last fall and a very fine plus 61D yesterday. Keeps it interesting.

I generally find one buffalo every 2 or 3 boxes and a silver nickel every 2 boxes. Maybe 10 to 15 1938-1949 coins per box. In the past year I found 4 proof nickels (all worn). That's from doing a box every week and a half.

I need to become a member of a new bank, though, as I'm finding fewer good coins in mine. Cleaned out my region, probably. :)

Endeavor likes this.
  13. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

Oh another way to keep it interesting is to collect foreign coins. I always pull foreign coins out when I find them and recently started a Canadian nickel book. I'll find between 2 and 20 foreign coins per box, depending on where I get the box. NH branch banks seem to have mostly US coins. The MA branch banks have lots of foreign coins. Probably they come from Boston-area tourists.

Dilly dollar and Endeavor like this.
  14. Dilly dollar

I keep all foreign coins, but I don't get much down here in South Carolina. I get about 3 Canadian pennies per box and that's all the foreign money I find.

Christobal likes this.
  15. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Only if you discount the devaluation of our money. Its buying power loosing a few percent every year.

The only pre-1960s that will ever be worth money in circulated condition are:
    1938S, 1938S, 1939D, 1939S, 1942D (non silver), 1946S, 1948S, 1949S, 1949D/S, 1950D, 1950, 1950D, 1951S, 1954S/D, 1955 D/S, 1955, and 1958.

Any others were minted in the many 10s to even 100s of millions and will only ever fetch a premium in unc condition.

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

your poll is lacking:

keep the buffs and war nickels.
    Plus: 1938 S,D; 1939 D & S; and the 1950 D

17. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Hmm, losing money? I believe that "nickels" are worth more than face value due to being 75% copper. You are already ahead, investment-wise.
    Given that it is worth 5 cents, you are not losing money, and it appreciates numismatically too. Even if its de-monetized, the metal has more than 5 cents value. Nor are you paying taxes on any dividends.
    It seems trivial as an individual coin, but look in the coin mags and on EBay at how many people are making a living selling them, and cents too.
    One day, when Emperor for Life Barry III decrees our coins be made of aluminum, your grandkids will have bags and bags of these nickels they can sell individually for a couple bucks each.
    I have a bucket of nickels, all dates.
    Nickels and cents are the new silver.

18. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Nope, littlehugger. The metal 'value' of a US 5 cent coin is only about 4 cents right now (78% of face value).

Now if you want a nickel with good 'value' save all the pre-82 Canadian 5 cents you come across because they are worth 5.9 cents each (118% of face value), since they are 99% nickel as opposed to the 25% nickel/75% copper composition of the US 5 cent.

And I presume a single metal coin composition also has better aftermarket 'value' since there is minimal or no refining required.

19. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

As Mr. Flute pointed out, melt value is currently below face value. Even if it were more than face value, you could be losing money if melt value goes down from the time you acquire the nickel. You could also make the case that you are "losing money" if melt value goes up but the value of other things you could be invested in instead goes up more. As I said previously, that difference in higher potential earnings is called opportunity cost.

As for nickel and copper someday in the future being todays gold and silver, I'm doubtful they will ever appreciate that much (at least within our lifetime). I stopped hoarding recent date nickels because there is no point in it when I can go into a bank anytime and buy as many as I want without having to sort through them (since the composition hasn't changed). I do keep older/scarce date nickels however. As for copper pennies I do set those aside since they are no longer in production.

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I absolutely agree about "opportunity cost" also (yes, my many-years-ago Finance degree has several classes of Economics...) However, I find setting change aside is FOUND money: Otherwise, change in our pockets become frivolous spending... cokes, candy, a snack, etc. I pull the pre-82 Cents as copper; Nickels cuz they are almost face to melt (sometimes more), dimes and after 82 cents to my "buy silver can"; quarters and halves to mad money for vacation spending. I figure at worst, I have change sitting around with monetary VALUE, that I would have OTHERWISE spent on something I would forget about... My 2 cents... :)

21. ljpitre

ljpitre Junior Member

Excellent Theory.... LittleHugger", I think even Economic Inflation may be off-set by the new found value that would come of the these existing U.S. Coins (including today's clad ones) if these coins were to ever be produced in any other metal(s) like steel or aluminum,etc. or some combination of them. That not even taking into consideration the rise in Numismatic value of any currently struck coins if there were to be a change in metals they are made from. Just my opinion. Regards,

Draft saved Draft deleted